Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Domestic shorthairs
22-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

I have added an abandoned cat to my family of 3 rescue cats.

She is very friendly(to me at least) but is very scared. She was dumped her with 3 kittens that were about 8-9 weeks old. I trapped her but, unfortunately, I haven't seen the kittens for about 3 weeks. With the coyotes and hawks, I'm afraid they may be gone. I'm still putting out food but I suspect the neighbors cat is enjoying it. LOL!! I've had her spayed and want to make her part of the group of 3 that I already have. She seems to have trust issues and I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this? Is it abandonment issues? I've had cats for 45 years but never done this. I just can't take her to County Services because they may euthanize her and she is such a sweet cat.

Sorry for the long post but I'm at my wits end! Any help???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
22-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #2

Re: I have added an abandoned cat to my family of 3 rescue cats.

Hi, and welcome to Catsey.

Well done you for taking on this poor girl. It's not going to be easy, as she's so scared. I would start by giving her some space in the house if you can. A laundry room, utility room, spare bedroom, that sort of thing. And perhaps putting bedding with the smell of your own cats in there beside her. Let her build up her trust levels.

I know Liz on here has a lot of experience with feral cats, so hopefully she'll be along soon to give you some advice

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and well done for taking in this little Cat.I would think it perfectly normal for her to have trust issues and be so scared.Time and patience are all I can suggest.i once rehomed a kitten from a shelter whose mother was feral.Jade remained a very timid cat all her life and would sometimes still hide from us when we first came into the house after a day .Helen has given some good practical advice and there are experienced people on here who should be able to help.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #4

Bless you for taking in this poor cat and having her spayed. I have no experience of feral cats but I would think that if she has regular food and shelter she is at least luckier than many of her kind. Hopefully she will adapt to your existing cats and they to her given time.

23-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

Thanks to all for. The suggestions an support. Actually, she has to live in my barn with the other 3. None go outside because of the coyote issues mentioned earlier. Right now, she is in a kitty cage in my tack room. Te cage is 4 ft by 3 ft by 2 foot with several shelves and her pan. She can see the other cats and they can see her. My old Tom is a good old boy and loves all cats. One female is so laid back that she never has issues with other cats. My 1 yr old female is the snippy one. She growls and hisses. I do let her out of the cage in the tack room when I am here to supervise and have had no problems. I don't dare let her out with the others alone until I'm sure they can tolerate each other. Does anyone know how long this can typically take? I guess body language would be the best indicator. I have nothing but time.

23-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #6

OMG!! The abandoned cat truly loves Dogs! She rubs and licks!! I wish I could have a snippet of her previous life. I don't think she was cuddled much but...she sure is now! I have a weimerainer and a Samoyed. They are the breakthrough I've been looking for! "All" the cats love the dogs and the dogs love them! All cats lay really closeto the dogs and will interact "around" the dogs?? HAPPY!!! I wish I could share the Pic of them all relaxing together! it may take another month but I think I'm there!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
24-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

Great news.So do the cats live in the barn all the time,like house cats here. I can't imagine what it must be like to live around Coyotes.
My first childhood dog was a Samoyed, I loved him.
What are you calling your new little cat.
Would love to see some pics of your pets

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #8

That really is a good step forward and I'd guess that your abandoned cat was at least loved by a canine friend in her past. This certainly sounds like the step that will bring her into the group with your other cats ...... but cats can be tricky and as you say, it may take a bit longer ......

25-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #9

I named her Memaw...you probably know that it means grandma. I'm sure she probably is...several times! They do live in the barn but the tack room is heated and there is a kitty door that they can use to come and go to the barn aisle as they please. They never go outside...originally because I lost one on the road. Very trumatic but I'm glad I made the decision when the coyotes moved in. They have a den very close and raise pups every summer. I love to listen to them call as long as I know my cats are safe! I had 2 other dumpster cats that I took in several years ago. Names were Tweetie (short for Sweetie Pie) and Punkie (short for Pumpkin). They have both passed which is why I rescued the other 3 from our Animal Services. I always try to adopt the cat that has been there the longest because I don't think they keep them for more than 6 months.
Sorry if I did this wrong...I'm still trying to learn how to navigate this. ))

Jeanine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
Great news.So do the cats live in the barn all the time,like house cats here. I can't imagine what it must be like to live around Coyotes.
My first childhood dog was a Samoyed, I loved him.
What are you calling your new little cat.
Would love to see some pics of your pets

25-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #10

Shelly123... I forgot to mention...I also have a cat in the house. This is my Mom's cat and my Mom passed in 2008. I promised I would take care of him always! His name is Bailey but I should change it to "Velcro" because he is almost attached to me from the minute I walk in the house! Love him to death but, unfortunately, he won't tolerate other cats.