Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
12-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #1

Dad is poorly and hospitalized

Prayers are needed for my Dad, please.
He was unable to breathe yesterday and taken to the ER and admitted to the ICU in very critical condition for congestive heart failure.
On top of this, he is in renal failure. It is very hard to treat him when his kidneys aren't filtering.
They say he may or may not pull through. My mom had to make a decision whether to save his heart or his kidneys and she chose his heart. The fluid is slowly getting tapered off his lungs and heart but the treatment for that has completely depleted what little kidney function he had left.
He is on life support in a medication induced coma.
They have had the priest read him his last rites just in case per the doctor's suggestion.
Best case scenario is they stabalise his congestive heart failure and he will have to be on dialysis completely as no kidney function will be left.
Worst case, I'm sure you can guess..
He was transferred by ambulance this morning to a hospital more equipped to treat his kidneys. He has pneumonia and a possible infection and a fever. They are just trying to keep his blood pressure and heart rate stable while they figure out how to do dialysis on him.
The fistula set up in his arm several weeks ago for dialysis has not matured yet but going through his neck (as they do in emergencies) they fear will be fatal. I don't know how they are going to do this but he has to get these things filtered out of his body somehow.
The kidney disease we already knew about and he was preparing for dialysis so he could have a total hip replacement as he could barely walk even with the use of a walker as he was in so much pain.
The congestive heart failure is a total shock and now treating him has gotten much more complicated.
I am terrified I'm going to lose my Dad now. I just want everyone to be okay for awhile. I'm so tired of all this death.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #2

Re: Dad is poorly and hospitalized

Oh Tink, I'm so very, very sorry to hear your dear Dad is so ill.*hugs*

The doctors will do everything they possibly can for him and I hope and pray he will begin to show some signs of improvement.

Thinking of you and sending healing vibes to your Dad ....... *hugs* xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #3

Tink, I am so very sorry for your Dad and your family. Prayers for all of you at this sad and difficult time. ((((HUGS))))

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
13-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #4

im so sorry to hear this tink. sending over well wishes and hope your father can remain strong throughout this x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #5

So sorry to hear this, how devastating for your family

Good health vibes to your dad xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
13-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #6

Good Lord Tink................they say these things are sent to test us and Good Lord you are being tested......my heartfelt thoughts for you Dad, and the family.

Catsey Veteran

13-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #7

Thanks, all.
My mom is being put through the ringer. He's 'improving' one hour and 'declining' the next and it repeats. This brings me back to K. I remember the rollercoaster well.

Kazz, I agree. I feel like it's such a bittersweet time for me. On the one hand, I feel so very happy to have found Trinidad and excited to start my life with him and start our own family (even went to the doctor to start preparing myself to try to get pregnant later this year).
On the other hand, so much sadness and grief and stress lately. Beginnings and endings happening at once. Maybe it's symbolic. I know life isn't perfect, I was just really hoping for a stretch of time where things were peaceful. I know God gives us only what we can handle but sometimes I wish he didn't have so much faith in me...

The updates I get from my mom are constantly changing. It's basically touch and go right now for my Dad.

Catsey Veteran

13-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #8

Tink I really do feel for you its as if you have had more than your fair share........really happy news about the baby.

Catsey Veteran

13-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #9

thanks. there isn't one yet..just planning.

Catsey Veteran

13-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
thanks. there isn't one yet..just planning.
Yes I got that........but happy news is happy news even if it yet to be