Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #11

Re: Can cats have Down's Syndrome?

Too true, we and our cats are mammalians both, with many many similarities .. although I've not tried to wash the middle of my back with my tongue lately

More study of the geomes is bound to be helpful; don't we live in an exciting time? They're finding what was called junk DNA to be quite important.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby female
James is Male
24-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #12

Re: Can cats have Down's Syndrome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Too true, we and our cats are mammalians both, with many many similarities .. although I've not tried to wash the middle of my back with my tongue lately

More study of the geomes is bound to be helpful; don't we live in an exciting time? They're finding what was called junk DNA to be quite important.
This is just my personal opinion, but the more I learn about the special skills of other species, the more I am convinced that human beings are not quite as superior as we like to assume we are

Every one of us is unique and that goes for cats too. We share the major part of our DNA with other species. We have shared a common history with cats for over 9,500 years. About 250 heritable genetic disorders have been identified in cats, many similar to human inborn errors. Many feline diseases are now being diagnosed using genetic tests that were originally developed for use in humans. As you know genetic deafness is common in some types of cats. The genes responsible for this defect are unknown, but the disease is being studied in the hope that it may shed light on the causes of hereditary deafness in humans.