Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #11

Re: jake not well today

As much as you can, in small goes - is it a 5 or 10 ml syringe? Put in the corner of his mouth so that the water doesn't go straight down his throat, or he might choke.

I think it's safe to say as much as he'll take. He may be quite weakened, so be as gentle as possible. Wrap him up in a towel if you are worried about him wriggling or scatching you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
17-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #12

It's good that you got the tablets down him, now hopefuly they can start to do their job.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: bengal british shorthairs
17-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #13

Thanks all im just going to try and get some more down him. I'll let you know how he gets on at the vets tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #14

It's such a worry when they're ill. Hope the water and medication will help. Have you tried tempting him with something smelly like tuna: sometimes the odor will sort of jump-start the appetite. Do let us know how it goes tomorrow; poor Jake!

Catsey Veteran

18-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #15

How is Jake today?

Catsey Junior

18-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #16

hi jake still not well been to vets again today another injection. but I've come home from work and got some baby food have got some of that down him he really needs to eat. Not had anything since last thur. Don't know if im doing the right thing by doing this help please worried now. hes got to go back to vets again tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
18-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #17

I'm so sorry he's not doing well; doesn't the vet have any idea what might be causing this? Glad you got a little food in him; keep up the water, they get dehydrated so easily! Fingers crossed here. Mandy.

Catsey Junior

18-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #18

well this is the forth injection hes had plus tablets. Think they will do a blood test tomorrow may be we will know more then. I am going to try and get some more food down him in a bit. Fingers crossed he might feel better tomorrow. Will let you know. Thanks Mandy

Catsey Veteran

18-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #19

Mandy,
sorry to hear Jakes not better, it makes you feel so helpless when they don't eat. You have done well to get some food into him. In Oct our cat became ill on and off untill recently. He went through periods of not eating, some of the things i tried were chicken breast pulled into almost threads, chippy fish with batter removed, sandwich beef. You could try slightly warming the food to make it smell more. He also managed some whiskas milk which is full of vitamins.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
18-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #20

Ask your vet for some Hills AD. It is a prescription diet for convalescent and sick cats. It is high in all nutrients and cats don't need a great amount so it is easier to feed them. You can heat it in the microwave which seems to encourage cats to eat. I have never known a cat refuse it.

The water is really important though and you should be trying to get as much as possible into Jake and as often as possible. Dehydration is extremely serious and has the knock on effect that the cat becomes so weak, due to dehydration not so much lack of food, that they become lethargic and therefore don't eat. If you cann't get enough water in him your vets may need to put Jake on a drip. This can do wonders and turn a real dehydrated cat round so they start eating again.

I am surprised, however, that your vets haven't taken bloods yet. They really need to know what they are dealing with as different anti-biotocs respond differently and some are better than others for certain problems.

I hope you get jake back on the road to recovery soon. xx