Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
02-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #1

Probs with Tom

In Oct out Tabby became poorly, when i checked him over i discovered a broken canine tooth in his upper jaw. This was removed and he ended up having some necrotic bone removed as well. They also discovered he has an overactive thyroid but thats another story.
He appeared to recover well from the surgery at first. However each time he finished his antibiotics the infection returned making him quite ill again. After 3 bouts he is now on an unliscenced dose of two antibiotics as a last ditch attempt to avoid more surgery. Again he is well at the moment and has 5 more days of tablets. I must admit i am dreading him fifishing them. He's 13 years old

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
02-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #2

Re: Probs with Tom

Poor Tom. I am wondering wether he should be on a longer course of AB's. When is his nexts vets visit

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, finaly the vet did put him on a longer course of AB's. He is coming to the end of a two week course of Synlux and Antirobe which apparently target bone infections. Realy they should have put him on these straight after surgery. He is on very high doses of both, the vet rang the manufacturers to see how high he could go. Tried to have a quick peep in Toms mouth just before but he fought me off, will have to be a towel job i think. I am almost afraid to look in case its not better. It has been very stressful and expensive

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #4

Poor Tom - is he managing to eat well?

Sorry not to be of more help, I've not experienced any bone infections with any of mine. Hope you manage to get some informed advice from someone else. Have you Googled???

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
02-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #5

I'm sorry to hear about poor Tom; I too have had no experience with that. I hope the new course of ABs will clear it up; how worrying for you.

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #6

Whilst he is on antibiotics he is eating well, however once he's been off them for a few days he develops a temperature and wont eat or drink. I have had quite a good look at the tooth socket and it looks a bit Blue/Black and not yellow with pus so i'm hoping he's getting better. At the moment he is doing great, i'm just afraid for when he finishes the AB.
Yes angieh i have tried googling but not found out much apart from info about the AB's.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
02-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #7

I suppose to be specific you need your vet to give you a diagnosis of the type of infection Tom has, otherwise you could scare yourself unnecessarily. Good luck and positive vibes for Tom.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
02-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #8

Shelley - has the vet checked to see there is nothing in the tooth hole to ensure there isn't something in there causing repeated infections?

Catsey Veteran

02-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #9

They say they have removed all of the root and some surrounding bone which had necrotised. Thay have explained that it was difficult to know how much bone to remove and its possible they will need to remove some more. If there is anything thats got stuck up there they will find it when they have him under anaethetic. However i couldn't see any pus there today so that seems to be a good sign

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
03-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #10

Some thing to bare in mind is that an uncontrolled hyperthyroid can reduce the immunity of the animal, so he will be finding it harder to fight if infections anyway. I'm surprised your vet did the op, unless his thyroxine levels were controlled because it does also make them an aneasthetic risk.
Hope the new extended dose of antibiotics does the trick.