Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
19-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #1

Smokey update

Just got back from the vets. Its not good news but not bad. He was deflead and i am going to worm him in the morning. Smokey is about 7-8wks and his paw is infected he still has his claw. The vet thinks there is no point in an x-ray as he has a old break. It looks like it is going to be amputated. Its around £200 which i can pay over 3 months which is fine. He also has to have cage rest. I have a old indoor rabbit cage plastic kind that i am putting him in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #2

Re: Smokey update

I am sorry about his paw Jane. Is there any hope to save it before the decision is taken to amputate?

Catsey Veteran

19-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #3

I hope so. It seems to be at the top of his leg. I think its being there for a long time though. If his leg is useless and that is what the vet said today he will have too. He gave him Conevenia injection as well. They only charged me for a nurses appointment as well. I realy do trust this vet and wouldnt use anybody else. I know he will have too be a house cat but he deserves a chance he has stole my heart

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #4

Poor little chap - I wonder if it was a birth injury left untreated? He's so young it doesnt seem long enough to be that long standing. I am glad you have confidence in the vet - that's so important. Fingers crossed for the little Smokey.

Catsey Veteran

19-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #5

His foot is realy infected i didnt know how much until the vet showed me. I am so glad i took him today. I panicked when i saw a tick on him as i didnt want any of the others picking anything up otherwise it would have been at least Tuesday. The break is just below his elbow near the shoulder part. I think his foot was injured because of his leg which i also think was done shortly after birth.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #6

What a sad story. But he's getting love and care now, and will cope beautifully if he does have to have an amputation ... they do. (((hugs))).

Catsey Veteran

19-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #7

He is more settled today. He is in a igloo type bed with a litter tray close by and a water dish. He used the litter tray tonight for the first time which is great. He seems so contented in there and doesnt realy move out of his bed.

Catsey Veteran

19-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #8

I am going to start his first dose of panacur tomorrow night. I cant find the box though he is 702gms and its 2ml per kilo for 3 days. My brain cant work it out how much i should give him

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #9

I'm rubbish at that sort of thing, hope someone will come along with the dosage amount. Glad he's settling so well, it must be heaven compared what he was used to before you rescued him.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 Moggies, 1 NFC & 1 Ragdoll
19-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #10

Thinking of you and Smokey. He is very lucky to of found you and now he is getting all the care he needs. Its sad that he might have to have a leg ammutated however if its the best course of action then it has to be done.

All I will say is we used to have a cat that sadly isn't with us anymore, she had an old break on one of her legs and as much as her leg wasn't perfect she coped ok with it and it didn't bother her. If Smokeys leg from the old break isn't causing any trouble and he is ok think about leaving it but if it is causing problems then its probably best to leave it.

Sounds like you have a great vet and Smokey is in safe hands .