Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: domestic short hair (2)
26-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #11

Re: Donating blood

Hi Angie

The blood does keep in cold storage like human blood, I think, because when Mousie needed blood they could have got it from the "blood bank". The nearest one to us is in London though and in her case we couldn't wait long enough to get the blood and to do all the matching tests. She needed the blood immediately and we had to take a chance and hope it would be an ok match, so the vet's cat kindly donated (he had done it before)!

Another point about cat blood is that first blood transfusions are usually pretty safe but after the first one the receiving cat can build an antibody to it or something.....so unmatched blood isn't as dangerous the first time. Also, most cats with the exception of some breeds (persian, and a few other of the long-haired) have the same blood type. So Dylan's blood would be very useful as he would be a match for many other cats out there!

I know far too much about cat blood......does that make me a cat "geek"? LOL!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 1x Sphynx, 2x DLH, 5x DSH
04-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #12

Hello all!

Several of The Fab Feline Tribe are registered as donors but have never been called..... Registered on some website last year.... and to be honest I don't think the idea impresses my lot much but I'm always willing to volunteer services when I have nothing to lose!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #13

Thanks for the info Tina - I often think of your wee Mousie as an example of all sorts of things (like insurance, for example!) - now I can think of her, and you, as feline blood experts! These issues are usually only found out when you or your animal is in need - but I think it's interesting to know in advance! I have always been a "what if" person! So I don't think you're a "geek"!!!

How is Mousie keeping btw?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
18-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #14

I'm a little bit confused about this section on the site you posted Mags

How is blood obtained?
Sedation or anaesthesia is necessary to keep a cat sufficiently still to make a safe donation. Blood is obtained directly from a large vein in the neck using syringes pre-filled with anticoagulant and a direct venipuncture or ‘butterfly’ type catheter. Fluids are often administered before and during blood collection to minimise the effects of blood volume reduction.

Would they have to take Dylan to the vet hospital (it's not a 24hr one) or could they do it by taking him round to the back room?

Edited to say: starting to feel scared at the idea of leaving Dylan at the vets

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
18-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
I'm a little bit confused about this section on the site you posted Mags

How is blood obtained?
Sedation or anaesthesia is necessary to keep a cat sufficiently still to make a safe donation. Blood is obtained directly from a large vein in the neck using syringes pre-filled with anticoagulant and a direct venipuncture or ‘butterfly’ type catheter. Fluids are often administered before and during blood collection to minimise the effects of blood volume reduction.

Would they have to take Dylan to the vet hospital (it's not a 24hr one) or could they do it by taking him round to the back room?

Edited to say: starting to feel scared at the idea of leaving Dylan at the vets
Have you talked to your vet about Dylan donating blood. RCR? I would have thought he would have explained the procedure to you when you asked him about it.

I personally know nothing about cats donating blood, the link was to help you understand the process ......... whether it's the same procedure every time, I don't know.

Catsey Veteran

19-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #16

Just got back from the vets. Dylan's had his claws done and the vet took a bit of blood to see what blood group he is. I haven't seen the vet Dylan really likes yet - think he's at the other practice.

Dylan didn't behave very well having his claws done (normally he's very good but he met a dog on the way there - (walked up with Dylan) - dog was jumping around and barking and Dylan decided he didn't like the dog and by the time we got to the vets Dylan wasn't at all happy so he fidgeted the whole time the vet was doing his claws.

He settled down a little in time for having his blood taken, the vet said he behaved really well in the back

The vets we use don't have a store of blood, if Dylan's needed they will phone us and ask us to bring him in

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
19-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #17

Poor Dylan, bet he's glad that's over and he's back home!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #18

Bad dog spooking Dylan like that .......... did you ask about how the blood is taken if and when they need you to take Dylan in for donation, RCR?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
19-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #19

I hope that Dylan is having some extra TLC, which I am sure he is getting alot of .
Brave young man

Catsey Veteran

20-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Bad dog spooking Dylan like that .......... did you ask about how the blood is taken if and when they need you to take Dylan in for donation, RCR?
Yes I did angie and it's taken out of the neck but the vet did say they might never need to have Dylan in to donate blood