Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
15-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #1

what do you feed yours?

Hi - just wondered what everone feeds their cats & opinions of good & bad foods.
I went to a Royal Canin presentation yesterday (work related about dog nutrition) but they also talked about cats & I thought I may try mine on it.

Anyone tried it?

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
15-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #2

Re: what do you feed yours?

We feeds Cheetah James Wellbeloved and Whiskas in Jelly. She doesnt like the ones with 'peas' and stuff in there tho!

She also gets treats like cooked chicken when we have some

Never tried that Royal Canin tho - is it 'natural' and without additives?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
15-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #3

I've heard a few people say JW is a good diet for cats.

I don't think RC has additives etc.

I currently feed whiskas & mine love it & look good on it, but just thought if RC is a good premium quality food I may try it. (It's really expensive though )

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Bengal
Azz is Male
15-07-2004, 03:52 PM   #4

yeah thas the trouble why so expensive? If good quality 'human' food is cheaper then I cant see why good quality pet food has to be so dear! Maybe we should check their accounts to see how much profit they are all making?!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
15-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #5

We give Cheetah Whiskas Supermeat, chicken or rabbit, as it's the only cat food she will eat. Also she does like the occassional sprinkling of 'biscuits' on her food. She is also quite partial to some roast beef too!!

She never seems to drink from her bowl of water so I'm a bit apprehensive about giving her dried food alone.

Catsey Junior

16-07-2004, 11:43 PM   #6

Ours get Nutro adult. And whiskas wet food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggie
20-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #7

I feed Oliver on Royal Canin Light for cats.....

I really want to feed a brand called Olivers (quite funny). BUT it doesnt have "hairball control" in it.

And Oliver has to have a food with this, as he would cough hairballs up several times a day.

So do anyone know wot to add? I know about catmalt (well that's the name in danish), but he wont eat the amount of that, he's suppose to.

So I was wondering about if there was something I could add, like I add garlic powder to Luna's food?

Global Moderator

20-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #8

Hi Jeanette! Cassie also coughs up hairballs and if I buy biscuits for her I always make sure they are for 'hairball contol'. She doesn't eat enough of them to do much good though as she prefers tinned meat. I usually grow a tray of cat grass to keep indoors for her and that usually helps her when she's coughing up the hairballs.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Is owned by Persians
21-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #9

My cats are fed on a biscuit called Red Mills which comes from Ireland and is a head ache to get hold of.No aditives or colours and all natural.This is down all the time and bowls kept full.As to the meat they are fed mince meat with either heart or liver added(beef/lamb/rabbit/chicken and sometimes fish)and fresh vegatables .This is all steamed. Then i add SA37 vit supplement and served warm,they love it.Even my kittens are weaned on to this meat and the results are fantastic the only problem is that my kittens being born are now so large, so may put girls back onto tinned meat when they are pregnant.This diet does mean a little work but my cats have never been healthier.
Hairballs can be stopped by either adding a little vaseline to there food on putting a bit on front leg so they lick it off.It helps the hair to pass through and it dosnt hurt them.My vet recommended this years ago

Global Moderator

21-01-2005, 08:16 PM   #10

No wonder you have got such beautiful cats Sam! That's a really healthy diet....what sort of vegetables do you give them?

And is the SA37 vit available at pet stores?

Thanks for the tip about hairballs too, I'll try that. I expect it's quite a problem with persians isn't it?