Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #11

Re: Dylan's been to the vets

Glad to hear Dylan took his pill and you were able to clean his wound. I wonder why the vet thought it was a rat bite then RCR? I would have thought cat/rat bites look quite different.

Anyway, I do hope that he soon feels better - how is his tail and back legs reacting now?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #12

I wondered about that too, a cat and rats dentition is so different...??? I hope you can continue to treat the wound. Poor baby.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Tabby female
James is Male
13-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #13

Good news that you are able to clean the wound

Delving around in what makes human beings tick, it is an interesting diversion to speculate what thought processes occupy a feline’s brain. As we are aware, they are very intelligent, however, they are but one small step away from their wild ancestry. There will be a conflict between their hard-wired instincts and the behaviour learned through contact with humans. Accepting and yet fighting care and health treatment is one example. Dylan is fully ware of his feelings towards his human family and yet instinct tells him to flee or fight. I think sometimes we humans (I am speaking generally, not about folk on this forum ) underestimate this conflict.

However, it is similar to our instinctive reaction to humans and/or other life forms that ring warning bells because they look so different or their behaviour is intimidating.

I used to live in the South Pacific and recall meeting a group of war-painted, fully armed Papua New Guinea tribesmen who stood in line in front of us, stamping a challenge on the ground. I knew they were friendly and yet their appearance and body language still triggered a reaction to be on my guard.

What i mean by all this waffle is a hug to Dylan and an acknowledgement of the task facing those who have the responsibility for his care.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
14-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #14

He took his pill like a lamb today, no struggling

His wound we needed two pairs of hands for, one pair wouldn't have been enough because Dylan was determined his wound was NOT going to be bathed in "stinky stuff" as Dylan put it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #15

But you and your accomplice persevered I have no doubt! Well done.

Catsey Veteran

14-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
But you and your accomplice persevered I have no doubt! Well done.
Yep his back legs are absolutely fine now his tail is getting there - he can raise it about halfway now but the abscess won't let it go any higher

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
14-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #17

Glad Dylans feeling better

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #18

Good to hear that, RCR!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
15-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #19

Did the vet check him over for other wounds,...bites. Oscar (many years ago) was treated for one but another absyss...popped up and was missed...Cleo spotted it and it was when we had to physically restrain her from licking him that we saw the abysyss..the vet lanced...well attacked by a razor sharp knife by the vet to release the poision. He had a good course of antibiotics and was as right as rain.

Catsey Veteran

15-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Did the vet check him over for other wounds,...bites. Oscar (many years ago) was treated for one but another absyss...popped up and was missed...Cleo spotted it and it was when we had to physically restrain her from licking him that we saw the abysyss..the vet lanced...well attacked by a razor sharp knife by the vet to release the poision. He had a good course of antibiotics and was as right as rain.
Yes he was checked over all over from head to tail no other wounds