Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: Domestic short hair
aaron1988 is Male
02-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #1

Sore throat

My 2 year old neutered male cat was vomiting yesterday. There was quite alot and has some long strands of grass in. It only lasted 10 minutes or so and he has not vomited since. However today he has a sore throat, his miaow is very scratchy and a lower tone than usual. He is not off his food, and when he sees me get his food out, his sore throat doesnt stop him crying uncontrollably until the food hits his bowl. He is still playful and acting normally, just when he miaow's it is very sore.

I have made sure there is plenty of water available for him all the time, im just worried, and thought id ask here if i should take him to the vet tomorrow?

Thank you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #2

Re: Sore throat

He may have scratched the throat lining and if so this should heal on it's own. It's usual for a cat to vomit after eating grass, so that alone wouldn't worry - but, what did the vomit look like? Was it regurgitated food or something else? Might he have eaten something he shouldn't have (other than the grass)?

If you are in the least concerned tomorrow that he's not himself, then phone the vet to be safe.

Cats owned: Domestic short hair
aaron1988 is Male
03-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #3

Hi there, thank you for the reply, i really appreciate it.
Without being crude it just looked like his cat food chunks hadn't been digested at all, with 2 or 3 blades of grass in it.
Ive been watching him for the past few hours, and every so often he will act as if he is urging to vomit, or to remove a furr-ball - almost like a cough, and then he will go back to sleep. My friends are telling me he could have a cold - do you know if they usually vomit if they have a cold?

Thank you again for your help

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #4

Well just to say that another forum member noticed her cat sneezing a lot and coughing the next day - she took him to the vet and he has cat flu, even though he is inoculated. He's having meds and hopefully will get better. So it is better to be safe and I'd get him to the vet just in case. He may have a cold or something caught in his throat.

Good luck - please let us know how he gets on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #5

How is he feeling today? Eating OK? I agree, a vet trip isn't a bad idea; better safe than sorry.