Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
11-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #31

Re: Surprise at the vets

I would use a kitten replacement milk for mum. It might stimulate the milk production. I found with Maisey's litter they find a nipple and stick to it and not all her nipples had milk but she produced the milk straight away. I agree with Shelly that letting them feed from mum might stimulate her to produce milk. If they have been fed by you they might not want too feed of mum. I am not saying dont feed her though. Hopefully person who yola who emailed will come along soon. If you have anymore problems you need to phone your vet up straight away. What did they weigh at birth

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: selkirk rex, ragdoll
11-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #32

thanks

no icannot i only found out last night when itook male to be neurterd that they have misdmatched blood groups he is a she is b
after48 hours im hoping its safe to give them back to her but if no milk i cant

one of the kittens has diarrhea what do i do now? not feedit?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
11-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #33

Pleas phone the vets up now and tell them about one of the kittens. I am sure with them being newborn you can not starve them but the vet is your first call. What sort of milk are you using as well

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
11-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #34

If you do give them back to Mum, keep a close eye on her to make sure everythings alright.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #35

What do the faeces actually look like? Normal neonatal faeces are very soft and often a very yellowy/brown colour.
At this age, they need to be fed every 2-2 1/2 hours, they can become hypoglycaemic very quickly if they're not fed very regularly.
They are very susceptible to infection so please make sure you take precautions to sterilise all equipment you are using to feed them and make sure they are warm enough. You shouldn't feed a cold kitten, warm them up first.
FAB cats do a really good fact sheet about hand rearing if you google it.
HTH

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
11-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #36

So am I right in thinking these kittens have not been with Mom at all yet? If so that is why she isn't produing any milk.

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
So am I right in thinking these kittens have not been with Mom at all yet? If so that is why she isn't produing any milk.
I may be wrong but I think the OP is worried re the different blood types of the parents and the problems with feeding kiitens and colostrum. I'm assuming they are the Selkirk rex's?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
11-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklizzy
I may be wrong but I think the OP is worried re the different blood types of the parents and the problems with feeding kiitens and colostrum. I'm assuming they are the Selkirk rex's?
Yes that's right, I know she was talking about not putting them with their mother for 24/48 hours, (I still don't understand why, but maybe I should read about it) anyway, I thought I'd point out that this will be the reason for no milk. OP was asking why the cat has no milk, but she has no babies to produce milk for as far as she's concerned.
Poor cat.

Catsey Veteran

11-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #39

Sorry Smudgley,I misunderstood you. I totally agree that she will not produce milk without her babies, she needs the stimulation from their suckling.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: selkirk rex, ragdoll
12-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #40

on vets advice i had to keep them from mum as i found out mum is type b and dad is a yes selkirk rex
vet said after 48 hrs its safe
theynow with mum and seem to be ok and sucking i think maybe her milk has come in
vet will check them over later
the curly one seems to be doing the best at the moment