Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: selkirk rex, ragdoll
22-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #1

Surprise at the vets

i took my cat to the vets 2 days ago as she seemed off, and was been sick and loose, i got quite a shock when i was told she is expecting! so she had a scan, and was told there was 4 healthy kiitens in there! he thinks she is about 6 weeks along. so now im panicing over when/where itwill happen and what to expect. itis her first litter.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #2

Re: Surprise at the vets

Hello and welcome to the forum.

How old is your cat? Any particular reason as to why she hasnt been spayed before now?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #3

Just read your profile, it couldnt have been that much of a surprise since you are a breeder and your cats are entire.

Catsey Junior

22-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Hello and welcome to the forum.

How old is your cat? Any particular reason as to why she hasnt been spayed before now?
accidental mating by the way, she was/will be spayed asap my daughter let the male out! he is booked in for neuter next week
thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
22-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #5

Accidental mating or not there are babies on the way. If the vet thinks she is 6 weeks gone then she has just over three weeks to go although they can go over. As you say you don't now what to expect they I can only presume you are not a breeder.

You need to get her a box sorted out and place it in a quiet room, I always have my kittens born in my bedroom, she needs to be introduced to this room and the box so she can get used to it. It is no use just producing a box and expecting her to accept it. My girls are confined to the birthing room for the last two weeks of the pregnancy, unless they are getting really stressed by this. You will need plenty of bedding as it will need chnging often both during the birthing process and in the wees following. Rough face clothes, not expensive soft ones, the rougher the better will also be needed to dry off any kittens and stimulate any that need stimulating. You should get some powdered milk in just in case mum can't or won't feed the babies along with an oral syringe and some teats from your vets. I also have a heat pad and weighing scales.

Let her eat as much HIGH QUALITY food as she wants , for this purpose biscuits are much better to feed as they can be left down. I use Royal Canin Kitten food. The kitten foods have more protein and are therefore more beneficial. Make sure she has a plentiful supply of fresh clean water. Both these will help milk production.

As she nears her due date she will start to nest, hopefully in the box provided. When she starts this you really do need to keep her confined or else she will chose her own birthing place and this will probably not be easily accessible to you. Do not let your daughter open the door. She may produce milk a few days before but this is not always the case. Several of mine don't produce milk until the kittens are born. You will see her sides rippling and this is the babies get in to position she will wash herself and may even pull the fur from around her nips. The nearer it gets the more excessive she will wash herself especially down below when she is doing this keep checking her for a discharge. As long as the discharge is not green and foul smelling everything is normal, if it is green and foul smelling it could be a sign of a dead kitten in there. This washing helps to stimulate the birthing process. When she starts having contractions she will pant, growl and tense her body. You have had kids so you know what that is like. Eventually she will pass a water bag and then the kittens will arrive. The kittens lie in two horns one on each side. When the kittens have all be born from the first horn there may be quite a delay between the next kitten this is just because it needs to move down into position. The time line between all these stages varies from cat to cat.

If you need someone to talk to please pm me and I will give you my phone number. If I can help I will.

Catsey Junior

23-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #6

thanks
i have bought some royal canin biscuits. some days she is off her food, although see seems to crave ham cheese and fresh fish at times she is begging all the time, other times she walks away from all food
she has no milk yet, and not showing any nesting signs
i have a few cat beds fleecy lined and a nice fleece blanket.
thanks again, it was an accident, im no breeder. i dnt know what to expect.

Catsey Junior

07-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #7

still waiting, huge belly eating like a horse no milk yet, i can feel the babies moving she s on day 60 according to the vet

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziejayne66
still waiting, huge belly eating like a horse no milk yet, i can feel the babies moving she s on day 60 according to the vet
Without an exact mating date the vet cannot pinpoint what day of pregnancy she is at. Not even a scan is that accurate. Considering how your vet has acted throughout this I would consider changing him. I certainly wouldn't trust him.

Fingers crossed for the test results and hopefully they come througfh before the babies are born .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
Without an exact mating date the vet cannot pinpoint what day of pregnancy she is at. Not even a scan is that accurate. Considering how your vet has acted throughout this I would consider changing him. I certainly wouldn't trust him.

Fingers crossed for the test results and hopefully they come througfh before the babies are born .
Why do you say that Kay?

Catsey Veteran

07-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #10

He has kept Jayne waiting with regards to the blood test so now it is touch and go whether the results will be back before the kittens are born. He has also told Jayne there was no problem with different blood groups, kittens and feeding from mum.

Very irresponsible as far as I am concerned