Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
22-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #11

Re: Pregnant Cat

I have personally seen so many kittens in the rescue I used to volunteer at because of overpopulation some of the cages were so full the kittens in them could hardly move around (not the charity's fault - the had so many kittens in they had nowhere to put them all that year) and one of the adult pens had to be filled with kittens too. Luckily all the kittens got new homes after a while but at the cost of holding adults back for several weeks because there was no room.

The two floor pens were crowded full, the three kitten pens were crowded and adult pen 10 had several kittens in as well.

I hope this helps you understand why I am against breeding unless 1) the person breeding is a reputable breeder (tests the mother and father for anything that could pass onto the kittens) and 2) the breeder is not breeding moggies (non pedigrees)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
22-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #12

I agree with everyone else. Poor cat, I hope she isn't pregnant, barely more than a kitten herself. I think all pet cats should be neutered regardless of circumstance. When she is old enough to call she will go out looking for a mate, even if she wasn't interested before, hormones will take over! Neutering can also prevent certain illnesses.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
22-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #13

I concur with everyone else, i think you said both cats were female? I think you should get them spayed ASAP

We have one here that came into call at just over 4 months

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #14

Misty was approximately five months when she came into heat .........

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #15

I think the OP should visit a rescue if she doesn't know about the overpopulation problem and if she wants her cat to have the kittens.

It is NEVER the cat or kittens fault when they end up in rescue, it is always down to humans.

NewRoc - Did you take her to the vet?

Banned

Cats owned: American Shorthair
Mark Johnson is Male
25-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #16

Hi, I am Mark Johnson. I love cats and i have four cats now. I had Snowby in the beginning and now she has her 3 babies. It is very cute to see your cat having babies. I would like to share a quote about cat which i found at Quote Ocean:
"A happy arrangement: many people prefer cats to other people, and many cats prefer people to other cats."

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson
Hi, I am Mark Johnson. I love cats and i have four cats now. I had Snowby in the beginning and now she has her 3 babies. It is very cute to see your cat having babies. I would like to share a quote about cat which i found at Quote Ocean:
"A happy arrangement: many people prefer cats to other people, and many cats prefer people to other cats."

Quote Ocean - Famous Quotations and Inspirational Quotes
How about seeing cats euthanised because homes cannot be found for them? Is that cute too? Have you read any of my posts? I'm not meaning to be rude.

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
I have personally seen so many kittens in the rescue I used to volunteer at because of overpopulation some of the cages were so full the kittens in them could hardly move around (not the charity's fault - the had so many kittens in they had nowhere to put them all that year) and one of the adult pens had to be filled with kittens too. Luckily all the kittens got new homes after a while but at the cost of holding adults back for several weeks because there was no room.

The two floor pens were crowded full, the three kitten pens were crowded and adult pen 10 had several kittens in as well.

I hope this helps you understand why I am against breeding unless 1) the person breeding is a reputable breeder (tests the mother and father for anything that could pass onto the kittens) and 2) the breeder is not breeding moggies (non pedigrees)
Did you read this post of mine Mark? Fortunately this rescue was not a "kill" rescue but if it had been then a lot of adult cats would have lost their lives and so would some of the kittens.

Banned

Cats owned: American Shorthair
Mark Johnson is Male
25-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #19

Yes, i agree with the points you mentioned about breeding. It is very important to check the cats thoroughly before mating. I wish you all the very best in you mission rescuecatsrule.

Catsey Veteran

25-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #20

Moggies should never be bred from in my honest opinion. Pyometra and cancer are not cute things for pets to get. I speak from personal experience about the cancer one.

Imagine this - you adopted an elderly cat from a rescue, you only have her for a year before she gets really sick (not helped by being spayed late) then a year and a quarter after adopting her you have to have her euthanised because she gets really sick and in pain, partly due to the fact when she was rescued she was not spayed.

We adopted her partly because it was kitten season and no one wanted her. She's have died in a cage otherwise.