Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
27-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #1

Vitamin Warning

When somebody mentions the word 'vitamin', most of us tend to think nothing but good things, however I just wanted to let people know of the dangers of 'hypervitaminosis' which is basically an over supplementation of vitamins.

Vitamin A:
Sources: Liver, liver oils (cod liver oil etc), eggs, butter
Deficieny: night blindness, skin lesions
Excess: Bone pain and malformation, fusion of the cervical vertebrae (in the neck) which is irreversible.

Vitamin D:
Sources: liver oils, canned tuna, pilchards, canned salmon
Deficieny: Rickets (brittle bones)
Excess: Calcification (bone formation) in soft tissues - this is reversible

Of course the vitamins are required for healthy body function, but all of these are contained in a complete balanced diet. Of course these can be given in moderation, but I just wanted to make everyone aware of the problems caused when these particular vitamins are given in excess.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: mix
27-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #2

Re: Vitamin Warning

Thanks for the warning

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: torty
John is Male
27-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #3

never gave feeding canned tuna a lot of thought untill reading this

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #4

Thanks for posting that Amber..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #5

Why would any one be over supplementing their cats with these vitamins? I guess those who feed a raw diet only???
I know that feeding too much things like fresh/raw liver can cause hypervitaminosis but if we are feeding an every day conventional complete cat food and occasional treats then it shouldnt be a very big issue. And for those feeding a raw diet, I would assume that they have looked into it very carefully before doing so.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
27-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Why would any one be over supplementing their cats with these vitamins? I guess those who feed a raw diet only???
I know that feeding too much things like fresh/raw liver can cause hypervitaminosis but if we are feeding an every day conventional complete cat food and occasional treats then it shouldnt be a very big issue. And for those feeding a raw diet, I would assume that they have looked into it very carefully before doing so.
You would hope so and I know for most people it wouldn't be an issue just after seeing a case last week of a cat being fed liver every day, and having to be euthanised due to it's cervical vertebrae being fused, I decided to post.

Catsey Veteran

27-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #7

Poor cat, it must have been in alot of pain. xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
27-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #8

I've never thought of giving my cats vitiamins or the dogs. I think that if they have a good balanced diet they don't need them. That goes for us too!!

Thanks for posting though.

Catsey Veteran

27-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #9

The only time I have ever given a cat vitamins was to Winston. I gave him b vitamins, which are water soluble, and trace iron to prevent anemia which crf cats are quite prone to.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber
You would hope so and I know for most people it wouldn't be an issue just after seeing a case last week of a cat being fed liver every day, and having to be euthanised due to it's cervical vertebrae being fused, I decided to post.
Thanks for posting this warning Amber. Poor cat - it's as you and others have said, if you are giving your cat a balanced diet (and it is so much easier for animals than for people I think!) you would hope that it shouldn't be an issue. But it is better to stress the point and be forewarned.