Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: BSH x2
swerv is Male
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #1

spaying

girl is going in on friday as she is now 6 months old, we have requested with the vets to have a midline op done and they dont have a problem with this.

are there any extra risks with this as opposed to on the side?

thanks

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH
01-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #2

Re: spaying

Oh, well I dont know of any difference but that doesnt mean anything Will be interested in comments posted

My latest female addition Miss Moofi had her op done down the midline, thats how they do it here in Spain and she was fine I guess they have to go through muscle tissue whichever way they go in.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #3

It doesn't really make a difference to be totally honest. The reason some vets prefer to spay midline, is becaue the incision is made along the linea alba which is the point where all of the abdominal muscles join. This means that when stitching back up, the vets do not have to re-stitch all of the muscles individually, as they all join here anyway.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #4

Why did you request a midline?

Catsey Junior

swerv is Male
01-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #5

main reason we didnt want a risk of her colour changing, thats the only reason really but if it was more dangerous then we wouldnt do it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
01-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #6

As far as I know it's easier to do on the flank as the uterus is easier to get to from there.

I've had cats done midline without any problems.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
01-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #7

My two girls here in the States were done midline; Patches was spayed when I got her, and Onyx too. I don't know what the difference is; agree it will be interesting to read the replys!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
01-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv
main reason we didnt want a risk of her colour changing, thats the only reason really but if it was more dangerous then we wouldnt do it.
Colour wouldnt alter on that coloured Cat. Its only rarely on colourpointed Cats, however if its no detriment to the Cat, I cant see any harm in it, and I suppose "cosmetically" its not visible like the side spay.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #9

A midline incision spey is a bigger op than a flank spey. Colour changing can happen after a flank spey but is usually only noticable on pale coloured cats like colourpointed cats. I generally opt for midline spey unless the cat is a tortie tbh. I think it comes down to personal preference really but certainly a flank spey is generally considered an easier op.

Catsey Junior

swerv is Male
04-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #10

well took her in this morning, much harder than i thought it would be!!

spoke to them about the midline and they assure me its no more complicated than a flank op and is just personal pref.

boy cat is missing his sister very much at the moment trying to keep him occupied, taken the day off today so he's not on his own.

for those interested the price is £59 for midline, £9 more than a flank. microchipping is £10.99.