Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
20-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #1

Olivers at the Vet again

Two weeks ago Oliver had a urethral obstruction, thought everything was fine until this morning when he was straining and crying when going to the loo.

Vet has phoned and they have found crystals in his urine they said they didn't find any 2 weeks ago tho, so will need to go on a special diet for 3 months(to start with)

Trouble is apparently it makes the cat put weight on and Oliver already is over weight He did lose weight, but since moving and being made a house cat(for now) he has just got so Bl**dy lazy its all came back on.

Has anyone had this problem before with their male Cats?
Did the diet help? any tips to help him get better also how to get him to drink more?????

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
20-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #2

Re: Olivers at the Vet again

Try using Natures Menu wet food and also James Wellbeloved cat nuts. You can get more water into his diet by adding it to any wet food, it is amazing how much more you can get them to drink by using this method.

Good luck.

Catsey Junior

20-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #3

Thank you.

Oliver loves rain water, do you think that would be OK?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: domestic shorthair
20-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #4

We had one male cat that was prone to this and the vet actually removed his penis and made him pee like a girl. He never had urinary problems again. I know all the men out there are cringing right now, but it worked!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about Oliver. My males luckily never had it; my girl Leia had one bout of it a year ago and has been free of symptoms since. She refused the special food. She prefers dry but I cut down drastically on that and feed her mostly wet food with a few sprinkles of her favorite dry on top. Also, adding water to the wet does help the liquid intake. Here's a link that might be interesting....

http://www.specialcat.com/FelineCystitis.htm

Catsey Junior

21-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybeeb
We had one male cat that was prone to this and the vet actually removed his penis and made him pee like a girl. He never had urinary problems again. I know all the men out there are cringing right now, but it worked!
I know I have been reading up on the condition lets hope that is will not be the case with Oliver.

A bit annoyed at the Vet TBH I was never once told how quickly this condition can become life threatening.

Thank God Im a owner, that takes pets to Vets as soon as I see a problem, if I had left it 24/48 hours to see how it went he could have been dead

The Vet said Oliver Loves the new food (no surprises there ) he will eat anything at all

Have to ring at 3 to see if he comes home.
Hope he does I may get used to sleeping though the night and waking up naturally instead of a claw stuck in my cheek

Catsey Junior

21-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Sorry to hear about Oliver. My males luckily never had it; my girl Leia had one bout of it a year ago and has been free of symptoms since. She refused the special food. She prefers dry but I cut down drastically on that and feed her mostly wet food with a few sprinkles of her favorite dry on top. Also, adding water to the wet does help the liquid intake. Here's a link that might be interesting....

http://www.specialcat.com/FelineCystitis.htm
Thank you for link will look at it when I get some time laterxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
21-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #8

Is Oliver coming home today? I hope he is feeling much better. It is an awful condition for them.

Catsey Junior

21-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #9

Phoned at 3 His cafiter was removed this morning and he had yet to pass urine by himself Have to call back at 5 30 to see if that changes! if not he will have to stay in and have the cafiter replaced.

So lots of weeing thought please

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: feral moggy
21-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #10

Poor Oliver. I have no advice to offer just best wishes that you get it sorted soon and he is feeling better