Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
22-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #1

Unselfish people

Today we were walking Malaika by the canal and met up with a lady who had a small Beagle. We got chatting and i was surprised to learn that the little Dog was a year old.
She has a heart defect and the lady went on to tell us that the breeder was going to have her pts at 6 months as they didn't want someone taking her and then bringing her back.
This lady has taken her on knowing she can't get insurance and also knowing that her life expectancy may not be very long.
Spirit looked very happy and well looked after.
I so admire people who can do things like this, i don't think i could.
If a pet becomes ill then you cope as we did when our last Basenji had a liver problem but to take an animal on knowing they have a problem, well that takes a very special person.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

Re: Unselfish people

I agree with you Shelley. Very very special people.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #3

I agree too; I doubt if I could do it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
22-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #4

Ok, perhaps I am a bit odd, but I wouldn't think twice about getting a pet that had health problems (Bronwyn is a carrier of cat flu and we knew this when we got her - not that it is life threatening) I would love to give a home to an animal that might otherwise be passed up - even if it was for a very short period of time. After all pet ownership is about caring for the animal not yourself.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #5

I don't think you are odd Emma, in fact if you are I will join you in the odd cupboard

I took on Oscar admittedly he was a kitten not an adult but he had possible multiple health issues....due to physical abusive that you could see they did think he had brain damage and possible kidney trouble/damage as he had broken ribs due to being kicked. So I took on a kitten with possible major healthy issues. Luckily he did not have any....and his torn out whiskers regrew, and his burns and broken bones healed over.

So yes I would take on an older/ill animal. In fact after Sal (many may years down this line) I have already half decided I will take on old/very old unwanted SBT.

Its a lovely tale about the Beagle Shelley and what a great name Spirit....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
22-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #6

That is great. I have a soft spot for the elderly ones. And the ones with defects too. Seems an honor to spend time with one who's time is so precious. And I'd rather have known them and be sad at their loss than to have never known them at all. Animals are little angels. I think each one stops in your life, even if briefly, for a purpose.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
22-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #7

Me, Kazz and Tink in the odd cupboard!!! LOL

Very true Tink, also if I wanted another pet I could get a perfectly healthy kitten and it might live for 16 odd years or it might only live for a couple of months. Nobody knows how long we or our pets have to live - even if we appear to be perfectly healthy - I could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow - so could my pets. When chosing an pet I always think - can I give it the best I possibly can? and I always seem to "know" if I bond quickly with a pet - Bronwyn was already reserved when I first saw her - but I knew she would join our household.

However I do think it takes a special person to take on a pet that formally has been abused - that must be very difficult - I would kill anybody who I knew hurt my pets - even before I got them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
22-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #8

When I said I doubted if I could do it, I didn't mean that I didn't care or would be reluctant to have a less than healthy cat. It's the medication problem: I am simply unable to medicate a strong willed cat. And it would not be fair to the cat. As to oldies, when the day comes, it will be a rescue oldie for me. Agree with Emma about cat abusers: wish I knew who had hurt my dear Onyx to the point she was terrified of people.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
23-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #9

I don't think you ar odd at all Emma!! I have often gone for sick, disabled or old animals that nobody wants. I have adopted a couple of oldie cats who we only had for a few months, but felt happy they were pampered at thr end and did not die in an animal shelter.

A lovely story about the Beagle and what a brilliant name!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
23-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #10

Have to say it brings tears to my eyes reading how some of our members take on elderly/poorly animals.
It does take a very special type of person and i so admire you.