Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
11-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #1

HPV Vaccine (Cervical Cancer)

They have just introduced a new scheme whereby all female Scottish school students can get a vaccination for HPV, or Cervical Cancer.

I have my reservations about this. I am not against vaccinations completely, and do agree that some such as MMR are needed, and the recent trend in not getting vaccinations has led to a rise in some these illnesses which were almost eradicated before.

However, this one in particular worries me. Here are my reasons:

- It has come out of nowhere, all of a sudden. Not had much media coverage of it before, and suddenly, every second radio and tv advert is the pretty scottish girl telling us that all girls can get this vaccine.
- Unlike the MMR and other vaccines, this vaccine protects against something that could develop but isn't contagious. Whilst mumps are high risk due to the fact that they are highly contagious and one person skipping hte vaccine could lead to a large outbreak, cancer is a case-by-case basis.
- I think the statistic is something like 80 women in Scotland a year die of Cervical cancer. Whilst every life saved is worth it, and cancer is a heart-breaking disease for the person and their loved ones to suffer, that statistic isn't very high for a sudden, wide-spread vaccination.

Here are a few other, less theoretical and perhaps 'out-there' reasons that people may diasgree with:

- my mum's friend's daughter had this vaccine about a year ago, and died a week later. Now, I've gotten into debates with people about this, and I'm sure the government wouldn't make something widely available and almost compulsory for all girls aged 12 - 18 if there was a high risk of death but I have done research and found the following.
- Any women who has had this vaccine whilst pregant has given birth to a child with defects or abnormalities.
- There have been several cases in Scotland already where girls have died sometimes within an hour after receiving the vaccine.
- There are many cases where girls have reported unwanted side effects after the vaccine, ranging from head aches, slurred speech, confusing words when talking, dizziness, tiredness. Sometimes these side effects take up to a month to clear.
- The vaccine does not provide complete immunity to cervical cancer.

Now, worst case scenario and a bit far-fetched, but my biggest fear is this. Anyone seen 'Children of Men'? A movie in the future where the entire human race is infertile? And anyone remember Thalidomide?

This vaccine is relatively new. Whilst I am sure it is safe 99% to give to women now, we simply do not know what the knock-on effects will be 50 years down the line. What if all these women give birth to infertile children? Or they themselves become infertile? An entire generation of women.

I know that is worst-case scenario but it is not impossible.

I just have an uneasy feeling at the pit of my stomach about this vaccine. Cervical cancer isn't a huge killer; yes, it could save some lives and for every life it saves, it is worth it for that person, but to have a sudden, nationwide campaign for every girl to get it, when there have been reported deaths, birth abnormalities, and lots of unwanted side effects, and when it hasn't been tested over a very long period of time, I'm just not confident in it.

I do not mean to upset anyone who may have suffered the pains of cervical, or any other, cancer. I have personal experience of a loved one being afflicted and passing away because of it, and by no means wish to make it seem 'not worth' the vaccine. It's my concerns with the strategy behind a nationwide campaign of using it that worry me.

Any thoughts?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: Bengal
11-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #2

Re: HPV Vaccine (Cervical Cancer)

Quote:
when there have been reported deaths, birth abnormalities, and lots of unwanted side effects,
Have you got any links to the reports? My daughter is in the age group due to receive the vaccination soon

Almost a Veteran Member

11-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #3

Carole, I'm sorry to worry you - and I really wouldn't worry too much. The stats I have are from web searches, and some from the BBC reports.

As I said, I don't think the government would make a nationwide vaccine campaign if there was any large risk of such things. The real, main concern was the birth abnormalities, but the majority of girls in Scotland receiving the vaccine won't be pregnant!

I will try and find the links for you again, but I didn't at all mean to worry you. If you do have any concerns, I would speak to the school or your GP? I believe the vaccine isn't compulsory, but is encouraged as it is being provided free on NHS and I think the price was around £250 normally, per vaccine, and they get two or three boosters?

I have been brought up by my mum who is a nurse but is largely sceptical of vaccines. I received the MMR when I was young and had a very severe allergic reaction; as a result, I've never received my booster. As such, I could contract measles or mumps but the doctor has advised that due to my severe reaction last time, it is best not to get the booster. For this reason, on a case by case basis, I avoid vaccines unless they're necessary.

When this vaccine becomes available to all women, I won't be opting for it. There is no history of cervical cancer of women in my family, I'm on the pill which reduces risk of cervical cancer anyway, and I do see it as slightly unnecessary.

But I wouldn't worry if your daughter gets it; please, I am so sorry I worried you! I didn't mean to scare-monger, I am more just voicing my concerns over the governments strategy behind this...

Again, I would say if you have real concerns, talk to you GP. I can't offer actual medical advice! Just my personal opinon, that I would not get this vaccine or suggest my younger sister doesn't get it (she has just left school, however, so won't be legibile to get it).

Global Moderator

Cats owned: Bengal
11-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #4

LOL It's ok I'm not worried but I think that every parent and child should have the opportunity to make an informed decision about this new vaccine.

Now I am off to spend a while looking for more info on this vaccine

Almost a Veteran Member

11-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #5

Some BBC articles I've found:

A debate on it's safety:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womansho...7_11_wed.shtml

General information on it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6385931.stm

This part interests me:

Quote:
However, even if a vaccine was in use, women would still need to be screened for cervical cancer.

This is because the vaccines do not prevent infection with all types of HPV, and it takes about 10 to 20 years after HPV infection for a cervical cancer to develop.
A BBC report in the Scottish schoolgirl campaign:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7590712.stm

A contradictory quote to the one I posted above:

Quote:
Dr Clare McKenzie, a consultant gynaecologist at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, said the injections would mean fewer women having to go through uncomfortable examinations for cervical abnormalities.

She told BBC Scotland: "This is a really exciting step to have discovered the cause of a cancer, to have identified what causes it and then to find a vaccine to eradicate it.
The quote above tells us girls must still get smear tests after the vaccine as it doesn't give 100% immunity.

And one final point:

Quote:
Some fears have been expressed that the vaccination programme will cause even fewer to attend screening, while questions have also been asked about why so much money is being spent on saving the lives of less that 100 Scottish women a year.

Almost a Veteran Member

11-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #6

Good luck Carole! I would do exactly the same in your position: do a lot of research and make an informed decision. Let us know if you find anything interesting.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
11-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #7

Well I'm one who has been on the pointy end of this particular affliction and the treatment was truly horrible. I haven't read much into this as I have 2 boys so it's not really relevant. But it's concerning to read that there are such dreadful side effects. I can understand that there will be negative reactions, some of the severe, but surely three must be controls in place to prevent (for instance) pregnant girls/woman from receiving this vaccine?

I thought long and hard about the MMR, Dominik subsequently had it with absolutely no adverse effects. Which reminds me, I need to get a shot organized for Sebi!!

Almost a Veteran Member

11-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #8

Yola, I do agree that there must be some tests done to determine that the likelihood of their being adverse side-effects are low, and I would hope they would check to see if the girls were pregnant before getting it.

I do think the MMR link to autism was overblown in the media, and I personally think this is a relevant vaccine that should be given, as it prevents contagious, life-threatning illnesses. It's just me personally that couldn't get the booster.

I just worry that tests haven't been done to see effects 50 years down the line. I know Thalidomide was a wee while ago, but I'm sure they did lots of tests; but maybe just not all the right ones?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
11-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #9

I hadn't heard of any negativity surrounding this until I opened this post My eldest Raechel will be due to get this next year, and tbh until now I was more than happy for her to receive it, but now i think I'll have to do a lot of thinking about it.

Almost a Veteran Member

11-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #10

Alexgirl, again I didn't mean to worry you, but it is best to be informed of all facts and different opinons before making our own, informed decision.

What got me thinking about it and researching was when my mum's friend's daughter died from it. She says that she regrets her daughter getting it as she was perfectly healthy before and it was pre-empting something that may not have even developed. But then, if there is a history of cancer in family history, it is worth it.

It's a personal choice, I hope you come to a comfortable conclusion.