Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
05-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #11

Re: Stress?

Yes, putting the tray in the spot where she peed is a good idea. Alternatively stand something there or put something crinkly, like tin foil down. Make sure you fold the edges over as few times as they can be sharp! My Balie still likes to pee (and poo ) in a corner of our spare bedroom. I've stood a lamp there which helps to discourage him but the only certain thing is to keep the door shut!

When he was younger he used to pee by the front door. What stopped that was the removal of the carpet (which was on the cards anyway) and leaving a painted wooden floor there for a couple of years which broke the habit and he's left subsequent carpet there alone.

You just have to keep trying different things unti you find something that works. Don't yell at the cat - she's not being spiteful or malicious.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Medium haired Grey and peach rescue
05-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Yes, putting the tray in the spot where she peed is a good idea. Alternatively stand something there or put something crinkly, like tin foil down. Make sure you fold the edges over as few times as they can be sharp! My Balie still likes to pee (and poo ) in a corner of our spare bedroom. I've stood a lamp there which helps to discourage him but the only certain thing is to keep the door shut!

When he was younger he used to pee by the front door. What stopped that was the removal of the carpet (which was on the cards anyway) and leaving a painted wooden floor there for a couple of years which broke the habit and he's left subsequent carpet there alone.

You just have to keep trying different things unti you find something that works. Don't yell at the cat - she's not being spiteful or malicious.
No don't worry i would never yell at her, only ever use positive methods with her and my pup. I didn't do anything last night, i was shocked!!! I got kitchen roll and soaked up as much as i could. Carpet still wet at the moment but i have put the litter tray in the way to try to stop her.

Maybe we will have to pull the carpet up....don't really want to as i want to sell the place next year and it has the same carpet through out, but if the place starts smelling of cat wee i will may have no choice!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
05-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #13

Sorry to hear the problem isn't resolved catrinsparkles!

One thing that pops to mind is a urinary tract infection. Cats are very good at disguising pain, and so even if she doesn't seem ill or in pain, she may have something similar to human cystitsis. If so, she'll associate the pain of peeing with peeing in the litter tray, so she'll pee elsewhere instead.

It might be worth taking her to the vet to get some tests done, or maybe calling up vet with your suspicions who might ask you to (somehow) get a urine sample!

I've read previous threads about similar problems where it wasn't a urinary tract infection, but a case of marking their territory through peeing. I can't remember advice given but if you do a search for similar topics or just browse this forum a bit further back you should find it

I hope the wee girl, and you, are both ok!

Catsey Junior

05-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep
I hope the wee girl, and you, are both ok!
Wee girl! Haha! That's about right at the moment!

That's an interesting theory. I think i will talk to the vets if it happens again this week.

How do you get a urine sample from a cat!! It's hard enough to get one from a dog! Luckily Meka doesn't seem bothered if you walk in on her mid pee or poo and just carries on regardless.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
05-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #15

Haha sorry, I didn't realise the pun! My scottish lingo coming out!

I honestly don't know how you get a pee sample! I've just heard that other members do so. It may not be needed, but it's good to know she doesn't stop if you walk in...

To be honest, it is a very common sign of a urinary tract infection if cats stop using the litter tray, quite normal. But calling the vet is always a good first port of call

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
05-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #16

I would consider taking her to the vet for a blood test. She could possible have an infection such as cistitis or a problem with her kidneys, possibly due to age. She doesn't sound like she is overly stressed about Tonks to me in fact I would say the opposite. I thin she has adapted extremely well and you have helped this with your sensible approach.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Catsey Junior

05-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
I would consider taking her to the vet for a blood test. She could possible have an infection such as cistitis or a problem with her kidneys, possibly due to age. She doesn't sound like she is overly stressed about Tonks to me in fact I would say the opposite. I thin she has adapted extremely well and you have helped this with your sensible approach.

Good luck and keep us up to date.
Thank you. I tried really hard as i didn't want getting a dog to be a problem for Meka. I know that she would rather Tonks didn't live here, but, i think she has adjusted quite well. She will be in the same room as her, on the same sofa, and both sit on the bed together on a sunday morning (although i have stopped letting Tonks in the bedroom now), but i can't ever see them snuggling up together like some dogs and cats do!

I will speak to the vets next week and let you know.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
05-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #18

Fingers crossed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
05-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #19

Are you feeding her near the litter trays?

Catsey Junior

07-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Are you feeding her near the litter trays?
Her food was originally in the airing cupboard, and the litter trays are now in the bedroom.

I have put some food and water in the bedroom too and she is enjoying eating in there too. The litter trays are on the floor on one side of the bedroom and the food is on the other side, on a table. I pressume she doesn't mind them being there are she is eating from them and also pooing in the litter trays.

No wees in the litter trays yet, but no wees on the floor either, that i can see!

Have cleaned it all and spread foil all over where she was going. Have also put another litter tray where i saw her wee.

Will speak to the vet next week and keep you all posted.