Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #21

Re: Daily Thread - Tuesday

Eileen, would you consider asking one of your rescue centres to try and trap her so that you can get in your home once and for all? I was thinking about this today as I was out shopping and thinking what a shame it is that she won't come to you, yet she has come to rely on you feeding her....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-12-2006, 10:08 PM   #22

I would leave things as they are with Onyx if she wants to come in she will look at Moli's Chancer and all of Snoof's waifs and strays.

She is well fed thanks to Eilleen, and has somewhere to shelter she is obviously happy if Eilleen got her inside and then Onyx hated it and got out and legged it never to be seen again - Nah leave her be. Let her get her own confidence.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #23

I have thought about it, but she is so frightened of people that I'm afraid it would destroy the fragile rapport that's developing; afraid she'd just go hysterical if she were forced inside, and might be a very serious confrontation with Leia. If I can gradually get her trust I think she might be OK inside. She's getting much closer to me now when I take her lunch out...the other day she kept edging closer as if to say "hurry up scraping that out of the tin!!" She's been around the neighborhood since the Summer of '05, my friend and neighbor Carolyn had been feeding her; Carolyn is very good with strays (she rescued two and rehomed them), but could never win Onyx' confidence enough to entice her in. She unfortunately had to move to Oklahoma this Summer to care for her ailing mother, so I've "adopted" Onyx, so to speak. Would appreciate any feeedback from those more experienced with strays about the wisdom of trapping her. I sometimes wonder if she's actually a feral rather than an abused stray. I may add that she's plumped out nicely since I've been feeding her, and her coat is a lush glossy black! Fran, thanks so much for caring about the little girl!

Catsey Veteran

12-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #24

Great minds there thinking alike I think Dm,

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #25

Eileen, it's just a suggestion but have you tried gradually moving her dish a wee bit closer to your door every few days? Who knows,when it is a bit warmer and you left the door open for a bit, she may get inquisitive and poke her head in........

Just and idea

Catsey Veteran

12-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #26

Good idea, Mags. but Carolyn tried that, especially in the Winter of "05 -' 06; didn't work! Onyx finally would come up to the porch to eat (Carolyn's porch isn't screened) but of the door were opened at all, Onyx fled, and sometimes wouldn't come back later to finish ....

Catsey Veteran

12-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #27

Slowly slowly may be the way if she comes to associate your scent/small with food and non confrontation then the trust may build - thing is we have no idea what broke that trust, have we Oscar was just a baby when I got him but never in his 23 years did he ever trust anyone but me. And he was abused as a kitten under 6 weeks and learned to distrust people so no idea what she's gone through.

Catsey Veteran

12-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #28

Kazz, it's not a very Christian thought, especially at this time of year, but I hope there's a special place in Hell for those who abuse kittens, puppies or any helpless animals!!!

Catsey Veteran

12-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #29

What goes around comes around Eilleen.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
What goes around comes around Eilleen.