Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #11

Re: Alex....

Exactly Elaine! As I said, this blood test is more to rule out than confirm anything. The vet was impressed by my little diary and descriptions of her symptoms. He has also sent off to the other vet for her medical history. His gut feeling from the symptoms is the IBS, doesn't feel that it is giardia, but says it may have stemmed from the fact that when we first brought her home with all of her problems, the stress she was under, the fact she had diarrhea anyway and the medication, her colon became inflamed, infection set in and that led to the irritation of the colon and bowel and that in turn led to the IBS. he did say that there was a small chance that it could eventually settle down with time, but usually it is a lifetime condition. But at least we would now how to deal with it then. Thank you everyone for your support and best wishes once again! ((hugs)) and xx to you all!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #12

Sounds like this vet may well get to the bottom of it.....and there is light at the end of the tunnel for you.....So pleased to hear something positive at last...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
12-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
her colon became inflamed, infection set in and that led to the irritation of the colon and bowel and that in turn led to the IBS.
This is what my vet more or less told me too. She said that she thought that Porsha didn't have IBS but if the diarrhoea persisted and became a chronic problem then it could lead to IBS in the long term. So I do think your vet seems to know what he is on about. Interesting about the Giardia. What were his reasons for ruling that out?

Catsey Veteran

12-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #14

The main reasons he gave for ruling out giardia were that the fecal sample that had already been done didn't show anything, she wasn't having bouts of vomiting and the fact that her poos were more watery and bubbly. It tends to be the rule that giardia poos are more mucusy! Also the fact that it was food that made things worse with her, which led to the conclusion it was a problem with digestion more than anything else!

Catsey Veteran

12-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
The main reasons he gave for ruling out giardia were that the fecal sample that had already been done didn't show anything, she wasn't having bouts of vomiting and the fact that her poos were more watery and bubbly.
It's strange that different vets have different opinions isn't it? My vet said that Giardia is difficult to find in stool samples and that often several samples have to be sent inorder to find it and Porsha did test positive for Giardia but has never ever vomited in all the time I have had her

Catsey Veteran

12-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #16

You do wonder sometimes if they are taught the same things don't you? The vet did comment on the fact that it can be difficult to detect, but also said that even if it was giardia, the treatment would be the same, metronidazole! We will have to wait and see now what the blood sample shows (but I don't think it will show anything) and how she responds to long term metronidazole treatment. Funnily enough, this vet doesn't think that it's necessary for her to be on promax paste at the same time unlike the last vet who said she definitely needed to take a probiotic at the same time!

Catsey Veteran

12-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #17

Yes the treatment of choice for Giardia is Metronidazole but my vet put Porsha on Promax paste at the same time as being on Metronidazole

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
12-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #18

Guess it's a bit like 'my recipe for spiced fruit cake versus your recipe for spiced fruit cake'. No real right or wrong, just various individuals' preferred way.
At least he's got his head screwed on wrt diet and long term feeding and is happy to listen to Alex.
Fingers crossed.
How is the patient anyway?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #19

It just goes to show how two different vets have different theories, doesn't it Anyway Alex, this new vet appears to be more interested in Teddie's case so I hope the outcome will be good.

I too replied in the other thread!!

Catsey Veteran

12-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #20

The patient is running about the house like a loony, lol!!! I guess that means she's feeling ok then, huh! She's still getting some grief from Broxi but I just seperate them when it gets too much, and she's turning round and whacking him anyway!!