Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #61

Re: GCCF code of ethics - buying a new kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
Well my little kitten is doing great. Infact I was weeding the garden and she sat on the window ledge (inside) watching me . I had a bath last night and she nearly landed in beside me.
Now before I got her she was in a cupboard with a light and her brothers and sisters. A litter tray and food. No toys nothing. She loves her scratch post, toys and cuddles.
If I have been out I come in and shout her name she comes running like a dog
Edited to add. She had one mishap with her poo when I first brought her home since then she goes to the tray everytime

Well, I just hope she isn't going to be GCCF registered Jac, as her breeder is going to be in a whole load of trouble if / when they find out she is letting kittens go to their new homes at 7/8 weeks of age un-vaccinated

Catsey Veteran

17-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #62

Oh, I remember you saying in a previous thread that she was being registered non-active??? Seriously, a very poor breeder who registers her kittens with the GCCF then totally ignores their code of conduct

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
17-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #63

Fran the matter is in hand. I cant say much at the moment but will tell all soon

Catsey Veteran

17-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac
Now before I got her she was in a cupboard with a light and her brothers and sisters. A litter tray and food. No toys nothing. She loves her scratch post, toys and cuddles.

Sounds like the RSPCA should be involved here

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Well, I just hope she isn't going to be GCCF registered Jac, as her breeder is going to be in a whole load of trouble if / when they find out she is letting kittens go to their new homes at 7/8 weeks of age un-vaccinated
What about the fact that she's been reared in a cupboard too? Surely that's not in the GCCF code of conduct/guidelines?

Edited to add, I see you addressed that too fran/Jac

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
17-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Sounds like the RSPCA should be involved here
Doesnt sound too good does it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
18-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #67

It's ridiculous to think that this so called "breeder" is getting away with treating her animals like that Shut in a cupboard!?!?!?! Surely that's animal cruelty. Shocking and appauling and definitely not within the GCCF rules and regs.

The trouble is that so long as people buy her kittens, she'll no doubt carry on behaving this way

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #68

Thats another tale to put me off the whole breeding thing, GCCF or not.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
18-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Thats another tale to put me off the whole breeding thing, GCCF or not.
That should not put you off Elaine, as I imagine as an outsider to breeding/GCCF that the majority of is common sense and kindness that is involved in breeding rearing a kitten/cat.

I do not breed anything other than fish....however I know I would raise a happy/confident/ content/loved litter of kittens. And yes I would follow the guidelines of the ruling body however I imagine like many on here I would do a hell of a lot more than that too....yes the basics/socialization etc etc etc....and a heck of a lot more. As well as a healthy "conversation" with any prospective new homes.

But I would not raise my fish in a cupboard....let alone a kitten....in another thread we are "appalled" that a rescue Moli has in Murphy was kept in a cupboard....

I know you say things are in hand Jac....but this woman you said first is a friend of yours.................although the more I hear the more I realise why your heart led you to take a kitten so young to "escape" the enviroment maybe the worse of two evils in this case.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
18-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #70

It does put me off the whole breeding thing though, and I think I may have said before that I dont mean to slurr any breeder here as i dont know enough about it tbh, but I do hear so many tales of the sadder side to breeding, and not just moggies.
The sad cases just break my heart as i am sure they do for the rest of you too.