Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
26-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #61

Re: Sleep promotion tips

Update on Sleep Cones ~ Day 3

Went to bed 11.45pm.
Still awake at 1.15am.
Must have dropped off because I woke up and it was 2.20am.
Felt very restless and my wrists were uncomfortable
Got up at 3.30am, felt nauseous, took cones off my wrists as they just didn't feel right
Went back to bed 4.45am and hubby said I eventually went off to sleep at 6.00am.
Got up this morning at 9.30am feeling shattered

All in all a pretty disastrous night I have decided that I am going to persevere with this course of cones and if there is no improvement I will go to the doctor

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #62

It's no joke is it Mags?
If you go to the doc it is likely to be sleeping pills.............................
If you wanted you could try an alternative practitioner (acupuncture/hypnotherapy/massage/whatever) before that. Would be best to get a recommendation from someone you trust.

But maybe you just need a week's worth of sleeping pills to break the insomnia vicious circle ...............or maybe you need that dog to walk!

Take care

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
26-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #63

Two more psychological 'tricks'

1. 'Image' on black velvet. Imagine you are looking at a piece of black velvet; concentrate on it; 'look' as deeply as you can.
2. Concentrate on staying awake. Tell yourself you must not sleep - reverse psychology!

Global Moderator

26-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahsmum
Two more psychological 'tricks'

1. 'Image' on black velvet. Imagine you are looking at a piece of black velvet; concentrate on it; 'look' as deeply as you can.
2. Concentrate on staying awake. Tell yourself you must not sleep - reverse psychology!
I'll give that a try DM....anything is worth a go at the moment
I don't really want the sleeping pills thing....not sure if they cure it or you have to keep taking them permanantly to get some sleep I'll have to have a chat with the doc about it and see what alternatives he suggests.

I may even resort to taking neighbours dogs out for a walk if I can't have one of my own!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
26-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #65

I couldnt sleep for a while and took Nytol for two weeks. It broke the cycle of not being able to sleep. No side effects. No wanting more etc etc!!!

Global Moderator

26-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I couldnt sleep for a while and took Nytol for two weeks. It broke the cycle of not being able to sleep. No side effects. No wanting more etc etc!!!
I've tried Nytol, Donna, still took ages to get to sleep and used to feel very heady in the mornings with it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
26-01-2006, 03:14 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I've tried Nytol, Donna, still took ages to get to sleep and used to feel very heady in the mornings with it
Oh dear.

Think I would go to the doctors Mags. Your quality of life must be impaired. I am so grumpy if I get ONE bad night's sleep. I went to bed at 9pm last night and did not wake up till 8am!!! And I am now yawning!!!

Please go to the doctors. Taking some medicine is a small price to pay for a decent night's sleep.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
26-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #68

Sorry to hear that you had a bad night last night Mags. I would certainly consider some further help with this as you just cannot funtion properly with the level of sleeping you are having -or not having as the case may be

I would certainly talk with the doc but alternative therapies can be very effective and would be worth a go ... must say I feel a bit concerned at your symptoms when waking Mags. Not sure if I would persist with the cones What does it say in the instructions re side effects?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
26-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #69

I really hoped those cones would work for you Mags, there must be something other than sleeping pills that will help you sleep!

Global Moderator

26-01-2006, 08:01 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Sorry to hear that you had a bad night last night Mags. I would certainly consider some further help with this as you just cannot funtion properly with the level of sleeping you are having -or not having as the case may be

I would certainly talk with the doc but alternative therapies can be very effective and would be worth a go ... must say I feel a bit concerned at your symptoms when waking Mags. Not sure if I would persist with the cones What does it say in the instructions re side effects?
Hi Fran.....the instruction leaflet says it is a drug free approach to temporary sleeplessness. It is based on the same principles as acupuncture but is non-invasive. It is painless and has few side effects. I'm wondering if I didn't apply the cones on the exact point last night, they are supposed to be applied to the H7 (Heart 7) point and I am not sure if I am getting them spot on