Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Closed Thread

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #61

Re: two birds with one stone (not my cat)

I dont think anyone is quizzing you as such CJ, but you did start the thread and wanted opinions on this little one, so that is what people are giving you! I know you said you could buy 3 kittens from Wood Green for the price of this one, but then that is 3 times the cost of food, de-fleaing, microchipping, vaccs, neutering etc. No one can make the decision for you - in the end you have to decide what is best for you and your circumstances.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
03-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #62

Quote:
theoretically we couls adopt THREE cats from them for the price of this ragdoll cross one.
Well I could of adopted 7 then for what I paid for Wiggy, but it should never be about money CJ, NEVER! A Cat or any other pet should be what fits in and suits your lifestyle, what you can offer a pet, not how much it costs. I would gladly of given another rescue Cat a home, preferred in fact, but my circumstances meant I needed a Cat with a laid back, docile temperament, a breed which had no inclination to wander, which is why I chose the British shorthair. I never considered the price.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
03-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #63

You shouldn't buy a cat because it costs a certain amount - but it *is* something you need to take into account. Therefore it is, in part, about money as well. You may not be able to afford the cat, or you may have moral reasons for not wanting to pay a large sum to someone who is out for all the money they can get, not what is best for the cat or responsible breeding.
I find it reasonable to think about paying three times the cost for a rescue for a cat you've fallen in love with, when you know you could probably find a perfect cat for you at the rescue-centre. It puts the price into perspective.
What decision you then come to depends on you as a person, your values, what you feel good about. The more questions you ask, the more you bounce and sharpen your wants and needs against other persons with different views, the better the choice you're likely to make, no?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
03-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #64

I didnt mean i WAS going to get three rescue cats.
I was just trying to say that £150 spent a rescue is far wiser spent money than £150 given to a breeder of questionable intent.

I DID also say that I would rather give the rescue £150 for one cat, instead of getting this kitten that I have been lied to about.

I was talking theoretically about the moeny.

I never choose my cats because of the money. I get them because I fall in love with them when I see them. Irrelevant of how much they cost me.

The point i was trying to make was the rescue is far more deserving of my money than some shady breeder of questionable intent.

Catsey Veteran

03-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
I didnt mean i WAS going to get three rescue cats.
I was just trying to say that £150 spent a rescue is far wiser spent money than £150 given to a breeder of questionable intent.

I DID also say that I would rather give the rescue £150 for one cat, instead of getting this kitten that I have been lied to about.

I was talking theoretically about the moeny.

I never choose my cats because of the money. I get them because I fall in love with them when I see them. Irrelevant of how much they cost me.

The point i was trying to make was the rescue is far more deserving of my money than some shady breeder of questionable intent.
I absolutely agree with you there, but why do you go through free ads? Contact genuine breeders who care about the breed which they are breeding, that way the type of "shady breeder" that bred the grey kitten wouldnt crop up anywhere near as often.

It just seems to me, and perhaps I am wrong, and forgive me if I am, that you always go for the easiest, quickest option, without putting any effort or research into finding the right kitten.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
04-06-2006, 01:44 AM   #66

Give her a break. She hasn't run out and bought this kitten, has she? She was only asking what we thought. And with us lot of doubting Thomases, perhaps the easiest option is to just get a kitten in secret and present it as the new kitten(TM).

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2006, 05:25 AM   #67

no i dont just go for the easiets quickest option.
or I would have run out and got this kitten irregardless.
Or I could go down to my local supermarket and buy one of the many kittems advertised for free or £25 - £30, there's seven adverts alone this week.

As i said I go by the looks and character of the cat or kitten before I bring them home.

Princess certainly wouldnt have been the easiest option would she, what with her problems when I got her. I knew she was underweight and was going to need a lot of work on her coat. But after I had seen her I had to go back and get her because there was something about her I just loved, and I knew (without blowing my own trumpet) that I could take better care of her.

I travelled over an hour and a quarter to get darcy, when there were lots of cats far closer to me, because I had fallen in love with him. I got him 4 weeks after I first saw him, and in that time i reserached as much as I could find about exotics.

I dont care if a cat is a moggie or cross breed or pedigree, makes no difference to me in that respect.

I have also just turned down two tabby persians that were being offered to me for free.
Would have been easy and quick to go "oh free cats yeah take them"

This little girl isnt from free ads either. She is from someone I have met and spoken to a few times.

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
Give her a break. She hasn't run out and bought this kitten, has she? She was only asking what we thought. And with us lot of doubting Thomases, perhaps the easiest option is to just get a kitten in secret and present it as the new kitten(TM).
Its not about a break Hroew, she just doesnt get it.

Quote:
I travelled over an hour and a quarter to get darcy, when there were lots of cats far closer to me, because I had fallen in love with him. I got him 4 weeks after I first saw him, and in that time i reserached as much as I could find about exotics.
The research into what you were getting AFTER you bought it!
An hour and a quarter travelling?? I do that every morning to go to work!

With your Persian, didnt the "problems" only become apparent AFTER you got her?

You see CJ, it might seem I am having a go, but I cannot stand such undecisiveness where animals are concerned, shall I do this, shall I do that, this looks pretty, this is cheaper, drives me nuts! Day in day out I see people bringing in Cats and dogs for boarding who have no idea what they bought untill its too late, just like you and going on looks, character you cant comment on because most kittens are the same at a very young age, but different BREEDS give the best idea as to temperament and character eventually, with any moggy its pot luck, just like a mongrel.

I dont know CJ, maybe I am just too sharp these days, like I said dealing with it every day is not easy. Please dont take it to heart, Im just speaking honestly.
Dawn.

Global Moderator

04-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #69

Carly, whichever kitten you choose, I'm sure you will give it loads of love, care and attention.......good luck in your search

Catsey Veteran

04-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #70

whatever.
I dont get what? I dont get the responsibility of having cats? I look after my lot, I didnt agree to get darcy until after i had reserached his needs etc. Yes I went to see him before researching, but no sale was agreed at that point.
Princess I knew was underweight and badly treated when i saw her.

And so what if you travel an hour and quarter to work everyday, good for you, suppose you drive though dont you?
I was merealy saying i travelled to get him when there were cats cheaper and right in the town where i live.

whatever you may think I DONT rush into getting a new addition,i think about it first.
I merely asked for comments on what cat you thought she was.

Dont see me running off to the nearest shelter cos darcy was poorly, or cos princess had problems did you??????

I know what I am getting into, I have given it consideration,and am not just rushing off getting the first animal i see.

And I am not sitting here going oh this cat is cheaper than one.
I have said many times I like blue cats, and have always wanted one.
I am not sitting here saying shall i get this cat,oh no this one's prettier, or this one's cheaper.
I am not indecisive, merely asking opinions on the cats breed.

you cant compare me to people bringing cats in everyday, as you have, because i havnet taken any of my cats anywhere. I have stuck by them, got them necessary vet treatment, vacs, etc etc.

anyway, think what you like, this thread was merely asking if the cat was ragdoll or cross.

The reason I reconsidered getting her was because a valid point was made about can the breeder be trusted and NOT because I have seen something cheaper, easier to get or cuter.

as far as I am conecerned this conversation is now done, the cat is obviously NOT ragdoll as described.

Closed Thread