Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #51

Re: Dash to the Vet with Alfie

Maybe oily fish, like sardines? Lots of calories in fats. Some cheese for treats, more calories there. I know there are weight-loss foods for cats; are there any for weight gain? Or, how about kitten food..that's richer than adult food!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
20-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Maybe oily fish, like sardines? Lots of calories in fats. Some cheese for treats, more calories there. I know there are weight-loss foods for cats; are there any for weight gain? Or, how about kitten food..that's richer than adult food!
Thanks for that reply DM, I admit to feeling a bit down tonight, just so worried about my boy but not wanting to post all over the place about him. Just couldn't think what to do next. So your response and ideas very welcomed.

He is quite interested in Kinsi's kitten food so I could give him that, he also loves cheese so I could grate some on his food for a while. Will get sardines tomorrow.

Why is it that I give that advice to others but can't think about it for my own?

CM

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
20-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #53

I hope he'll enjoy DM's suggestions and starts to build up some weight CM...... let us know how he gets on with his new 'diet'!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
Thanks for that reply DM, I admit to feeling a bit down tonight, just so worried about my boy but not wanting to post all over the place about him. Just couldn't think what to do next. So your response and ideas very welcomed.

He is quite interested in Kinsi's kitten food so I could give him that, he also loves cheese so I could grate some on his food for a while. Will get sardines tomorrow.

Why is it that I give that advice to others but can't think about it for my own?

CM
You're too close and too emotionally involved. It's easier for me to sit here and offer suggestions because I'm not looking at my dearly loved cat who's so skinny...I'd be exactly the same if it were me!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
21-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #55

I'm sad to read about your worries with your Alfie.

Sending you lots of positive vibes and hope he gets his appetite back as soon as.

Think you could do with some hugs too

Hugs

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
24-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #56

Hope all goes well for Alfie tomorrow, if it is his thyroid you should see weight going back on once he goes on his medication. The vets didn't think Samson had an overactive thyroid, but when I eventually got it tested his levels were nearly at 200, when they should be between 10-55. I would also suggest putting a bit of oil in his food, it is a good way to add calories without him having to take in anymore bulk.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
25-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by farthing
Hope all goes well for Alfie tomorrow, if it is his thyroid you should see weight going back on once he goes on his medication. The vets didn't think Samson had an overactive thyroid, but when I eventually got it tested his levels were nearly at 200, when they should be between 10-55. I would also suggest putting a bit of oil in his food, it is a good way to add calories without him having to take in anymore bulk.
Thanks farthing, I'll do that. The vet is not convinced it is thyroid as he's only 5yrs. I know nothing about it so just need to wait and see what he says tomorrow.

Thanks for your good wishes.

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
25-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #58

I have bought some salmon oil for Merlin - I've just got to work out the dosage for his weight and see how he takes to it. He loves anything salmony. I'll let you know how he takes to it - maybe something to consider for Alfie?

Best wishes to you and healing vibes for Alfie.

I know how you feel - it really gives me pleasure when Merlin eats his food with gusto and I feel quite anxious and depressed when he doesn't want to eat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #59

I do hope he picks up soon. I like DMs suggestions for getting a bit of weight on him. I think I'd just try to get him in the habit of nibbling at any time, either 'real food' or treats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
25-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #60

Sorry, I didn't know Alfie was so young, hyperthyroid does tend to be an old cats' disease, however it doesn't rule him out.
The thyroid controls the body's metabolism, so when the thyroxine levels are increased all the body's functions are speeded up. This can cause kidney failure ( if untreated long term), racing heart, high blood pressure, excessive weight loss with increased appetite and unsettled behaviour. It can be treated in 3 different ways- medication, which requires blood tests until the right levels are reached and then 6 monthly to yearly blood tests to monitor. Some tablets need to be given twice daily and some once daily.
Radiotherapy can be used to kill off the thyroid cell, but your cat must go to a vet school and be there for a few months.
Thyroidectomy, where, usually half the thyroid is removed, although your cat has to be stabilised first with medication and it can be a risky op, as the parathyroid lies beside the thyroid and removal of this can be quite dangerous.
However, I have 4 hyperthyroid cats and when given their tablets religiously, are all very well.

Now, I wriiten all this and it probably isn't a thyroid problem at all.