Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
14-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #41

Re: yow-ing

Oh that's good to hear (about the brown stuff) and that the kidneys are treatable, rcr
About the arthritis, my old sheepdog is on Metacam medicine and Synoquin tablets, both for very bad arthritis. There must be a treatment for cats out there. The metacam alleviates the pain and the Synoquin is a supplement that 'oils' the joints (like glucosamine in people). I know its expensive to treat and medicate but we're on a petplan scheme. Hope you get Beauty back to good health. Aged cats can be wonderful companions too. Sorry about my 'poll' comments, I'm sure your dilemma was awful and I'm glad you felt you could ask your friends here on Catsey for help

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
14-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
Oh that's good to hear (about the brown stuff) and that the kidneys are treatable, rcr
About the arthritis, my old sheepdog is on Metacam medicine and Synoquin tablets, both for very bad arthritis. There must be a treatment for cats out there. The metacam alleviates the pain and the Synoquin is a supplement that 'oils' the joints (like glucosamine in people). I know its expensive to treat and medicate but we're on a petplan scheme. Hope you get Beauty back to good health. Aged cats can be wonderful companions too. Sorry about my 'poll' comments, I'm sure your dilemma was awful and I'm glad you felt you could ask your friends here on Catsey for help
I didn't mean for it to sound the way it did! I was worrying myself sick about her!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
14-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
I didn't mean for it to sound the way it did! I was worrying myself sick about her!
We knew that you didn't mean what it sounded like; I posted that in my reply. You were just horribly upset, understandably; don't worry about that at all.

Re the arthritis: I know there are pills for cats; a vet catalogue I get offers them. I believe they are mostly glucosamine, which is also a human treatment: I've been taking it for my arthritis for years and it does really work...alleviates the pain. I only wish I'd known about it when Misty was alive; her arthritis troubled her and I had no idea there was a treatment. Do ask your vet about it!

Catsey Veteran

14-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
We knew that you didn't mean what it sounded like; I posted that in my reply. You were just horribly upset, understandably; don't worry about that at all.

Re the arthritis: I know there are pills for cats; a vet catalogue I get offers them. I believe they are mostly glucosamine, which is also a human treatment: I've been taking it for my arthritis for years and it does really work...alleviates the pain. I only wish I'd known about it when Misty was alive; her arthritis troubled her and I had no idea there was a treatment. Do ask your vet about it!
I will! I think that it might be alright - I'll have a word with the vet. I don't want to have to give her drugs if I can avoid it!

Catsey Veteran

14-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #45

He didn't say if they were set to get worse though. Just a case of seeing if her kidneys are going to get worse - if they are I'll have to see what the vet advises. At the moment, according to the vet, if she has a special food for her kidneys she'll be OK.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #46

I am glad to read that Beauty is back home with you and all things considered, the outcome is a little better than you had thought it would be. It's very overwhelming to be told you cat has CRF, but the good news is that it can be managed. The trick is to try to learn as much as you can and as fast as you can. I used to ask my vet for a copy of the blood results, so that I could keep an eye on how the crf was progressing. If you need any help getting your head round the whole emotional rollercoaster that is crf, please dont hesitate to ask. There are several of us here who have been through the rollercoaster and will support you as best we can.
Hugs to both of you xxx

Catsey Veteran

14-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I am glad to read that Beauty is back home with you and all things considered, the outcome is a little better than you had thought it would be. It's very overwhelming to be told you cat has CRF, but the good news is that it can be managed. The trick is to try to learn as much as you can and as fast as you can. I used to ask my vet for a copy of the blood results, so that I could keep an eye on how the crf was progressing. If you need any help getting your head round the whole emotional rollercoaster that is crf, please dont hesitate to ask. There are several of us here who have been through the rollercoaster and will support you as best we can.
Hugs to both of you xxx
She's going back to the vets in a weeks time so I can have a word with the vet then.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
14-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #48

In the mean time, you may want to have a read of this site. It was my bible when Winston was alive.
http://www.felinecrf.org/

Catsey Veteran

15-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
In the mean time, you may want to have a read of this site. It was my bible when Winston was alive.
http://www.felinecrf.org/
That site should be useful! Thanks! I'll read it later.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH Cats
16-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #50

Oh my...Is Beauty going to be okay though? I sure hope so!