Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Blue BSH
ShorthairMartin is Male
16-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #31

Re: Cat Run: Day 1

My sister has come to the rescue... She has an unwanted tree with a tree-way split half way up, which is perfect for putting platforms on. One draw back, I have to travel an hour and a half... and chop it down myself
Just a quick question. As the tree is still alive, I was wondering if there are any types of trees that cats are allergic to or disagree with? She says it has yellowish flowers on it in summer. Although the bit that I need wont have any flowers of leaves on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
16-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #32

I just Googled "trees with yellow flowers" and this the the list that came up. Laburnum is poisonous to humans, I would advise you try and identify it and then check to see if any part is dangerous for cats. Wise to do this beforehand!

http://www.findmeplants.co.uk/trees-yellow-flowers.aspx

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese cross Siamese
16-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #33

It doesn't sound like a monkey puzzle tree which should definitely be avoided. I lost a cat many years ago because he liked to climb one opposite to where we lived and then went on to develop a lump on his mouth which the vet diagnosed as cancer and we were advised to have him put to sleep. It nearly broke my heart, he was only 18 months old. Then we found out later that monkey puzzle trees exude a sap which can cause growths that look like cancer but in fact aren't and are curable.

Catsey Junior

ShorthairMartin is Male
16-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #34

Aye, just seen that too, the bit i'm after will not have any flowers, small stems or leaves. But its still a little concerning. How long would you think it would take for the tree to die after chopping it down? I could leave it for a month or two before putting it in there with him just to be safe.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
16-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #35

It takes generally 6 to 9 months for wood to be seasoned enough to burn; presume that'd because all the sap has finally dried; probably would be safe enough to use in the pen in less time. The linden tree also has yellowish flowers in Summer, but couldn't find anything on Google to see if it might be poisonous; suspect not at least to humans since it is used in homeopathic medicine.

I'd try for oak or maple if you can .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #36

Does it have to be a tree....could it not just be a solid piece of wood with arms for platforms off at angles/heights?
Looking really really good.

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Does it have to be a tree....could it not just be a solid piece of wood with arms for platforms off at angles/heights?
Looking really really good.
That would work, but cats really really love a piece of real tree. My scratching post is a big oak branch that all of them have used enthusiastically!

Catsey Junior

ShorthairMartin is Male
25-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #38

Well, after a glorious day of sunshine I have managed to get the roof done (finally). It is all but done except for a few bits and bobs like a lock for the door and a few securing bolts into the wall. I will get some more piccies tomorrow and hopefully some of Milo's first outdoor adventure
Now i'll have to think about shelves and a little shelter for him, and of course, the tree (If I ever find a suitable one)

Catsey Junior

ShorthairMartin is Male
25-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #39

edit... I know my garden is a mess... It is next on my list of things to do (my OH is always at me to sort it)

Catsey Veteran

25-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #40

Martin, that's looking great, what a good job! Milo is going to be one happy cat! How I wish I had space for something like that. Don't worry about the garden, they're always a work in progress anyway. Good luck in finding a tree trunk.