Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #31

Re: Jerry wont use litter trays that the kittens have used

Erin, do you think that, odd as it sounds, the tray may be too clean? That link that Mags posted mentioned that it should smell like a latrine to them, so if maybe it doesn't to Jerry, that's why he's avoiding it! I'm sure you've been cleaning it more often since Tink and Milo are there; maybe that plus the strong cleaning liquid...??? Just a thought .......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #32

Also Erin, have you checked to make sure he doesn't have a UTI? Sometimes they wont use the tray if they have one!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-06-2007, 11:46 PM   #33

Good point, Alex!!! Should have thought of that myself!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
14-06-2007, 12:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Erin, do you think that, odd as it sounds, the tray may be too clean? That link that Mags posted mentioned that it should smell like a latrine to them, so if maybe it doesn't to Jerry, that's why he's avoiding it! I'm sure you've been cleaning it more often since Tink and Milo are there; maybe that plus the strong cleaning liquid...??? Just a thought .......
i think thats waht the problem may be Eileen,im going to get some of the cheaper washing up liquid like mags suggested it may not smell as strong,and ill clean it every 3 days rather than every 2

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
14-06-2007, 12:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgirl73
Also Erin, have you checked to make sure he doesn't have a UTI? Sometimes they wont use the tray if they have one!

I didnt even think of that alex thanks,ill check him over and give the vets a call,he seems absolutely fine in himself though,he certainly doesnt seem to be in any pain,but ill get him checked to be safe

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
14-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #36

I know this sounds silly but could you fit in a bigger litter tray?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-06-2007, 07:34 AM   #37

I have seen this beahiour with mummy cats and their kittens. Some mummy cats won't toilet where the kittens go. Ria is like this, she will only use her tray and not the kittens tray so maybe Jerry has adopted a 'mummy' like role and is refusing to use the same tray as them. If this is the case I doubt you have any alternative but to get him his own tray.

Regarding urine infection, when Clooney had one he never showed any sign of illness at all. The only reason we knew something was wrong was because he started urinating outside of the litter boxes and we did see a few spots of blood too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
14-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #38

I dont think its anything to do with thel litter or the tray being too clean.

I have this problem and it is just down to cat behaviour as I have gone through the lists of everything else it could be.

Chloe wont use the litter tray that Misty has used. Every tray I put down Misty uses so cannot get round it by placing more trays down.

Chloe wees on the floor next to the tray or elsewhere in the house which is not good so have now given Chloe 24/7 access via catflap to the outside which alleviates most accidents.

Some cats will just not use a tray another cat uses, and sometimes another tray doesnt help the situation either cos then you have two trays that only one cat is using like in my case!!!!

Hope you find a solution.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #39

How about teaching all of them to use the human toilet? Theer are threads here on the equipment you need and the way to go about it. It's dead easy!

If not - don't use a chemical cleaner at all. Wash the trays in plain water (use a brush to remove any 'bits'), then boil the kettle and pour the boiling water in the tray and swish around. before you do that scoop a tiny bit of the old litter to put back in the clean - just to reinforce that this is the midden, nowheer else.
The 'experts' say you ideally need one more litter tray than you have cats - so you'd need 4!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
14-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #40

It could be A UTI you should check his wee after he has gone toilet...... If he has been using it up till now then that could be his problem my Casper did that and there was only him at the time....Hope you discover whats up with him soon xxx