Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
28-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #31

Re: Beauty's weight

RCR, I do agree with the others that a visit to the vet is in order, if only to ease your mind.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
28-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
reposted
Why do you keep ignoring me? Have i upset you? I have only ever wanted to help you understand the whole CRf thing in order for you to help Beauty.
I'm not ignoring you!

I don't really know her blood values!

I'll phone the vets tomorrow to get an appointment for Beauty to have her weighed. I don't know when the appointment will be, because the vets here does get quite busy (there's two vets here, one has a bad reputation so unless I can't manage any other way I won't be using the other vets)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
28-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #33

I do think another vet visit might be best; they don't seem to be keeping you very well informed about Beauty's condition. Also the fact that they don't seem over-concerned about her weight does worry me a bit.

Are you able to descretly seek a 2nd opinion just to put your own mind at ease? She should be having regular blood tests to make sure she is stable.

Catsey Veteran

28-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
I do think another vet visit might be best; they don't seem to be keeping you very well informed about Beauty's condition. Also the fact that they don't seem over-concerned about her weight does worry me a bit.

Are you able to descretly seek a 2nd opinion just to put your own mind at ease? She should be having regular blood tests to make sure she is stable.
Like I said, I'm reluctant to use the other vets for a second opinion, they have a really bad reputation!

To get a second opinion I'd have to either take Beauty to the vets with the bad reputation OR take her to a vets a few miles away (which would stress her out)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #35

What about calling the other vet and sounding them out for yourself, ask how knowledgable they are on CRF cats and what treatments can you expect from them etc.
On another note, it is quite a good idea to take note or ask for copies of the blood values as and when they are done. This way you can keep an eye on how the CRF is progressing.
I would also be questioning current vet on the various treatments available for Beauty and what would be suitable for her.
Extra B vitamins are very good for CRf cats, these can do no harm as they are water soluble, so any excess will simply be flushed from her system as excess waste.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
28-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #36

I found this website v helpful when I went through trying to live with a CRF cat.

http://www.felinecrf.org/

CM

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismum
I found this website v helpful when I went through trying to live with a CRF cat.

http://www.felinecrf.org/

CM
An excellent site, it was more like a bible for me when i was caring for Winston and I still refer to it now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
28-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #38

RCR - you have received some excellent advice here from people who have experienced what you are going through first hand. I've not had a CRF cat, only an FIV one. But a good friend had an elderly CRF cat an she knew in minute detail his blood levels, weight, what he did and didn't eat, how much he slept etc etc.

The ball is in your court; you can seek a 2nd opinion from a 'bad' vet. What makes them so bad? If they were so awful surely they would no longer be trading?

Or, if they really are not worth considering maybe a brief bout of stress for Beauty would be worth it to make the trip to a reputable vet in order to get some kind of definitive diagnosis. Because it sounds to me that your vet is either not bothered enough to investigate her condition fully or they are not keeping you, as her owner, fully informed of all their findings. Either action/inaction is not good enough.

I think you must take control over what is happening with Beauty. You are the closest one to her and you need to arm yourself with as much information in order to help her, as is possible. You must politely insist that the vet carries out the relevant blood tests AND shares the findings with you. If they refuse to do so then I'd suggest they are the bad vet and you should try another.

Catsey Veteran

29-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
RCR - you have received some excellent advice here from people who have experienced what you are going through first hand. I've not had a CRF cat, only an FIV one. But a good friend had an elderly CRF cat an she knew in minute detail his blood levels, weight, what he did and didn't eat, how much he slept etc etc.

The ball is in your court; you can seek a 2nd opinion from a 'bad' vet. What makes them so bad? If they were so awful surely they would no longer be trading?

Or, if they really are not worth considering maybe a brief bout of stress for Beauty would be worth it to make the trip to a reputable vet in order to get some kind of definitive diagnosis. Because it sounds to me that your vet is either not bothered enough to investigate her condition fully or they are not keeping you, as her owner, fully informed of all their findings. Either action/inaction is not good enough.

I think you must take control over what is happening with Beauty. You are the closest one to her and you need to arm yourself with as much information in order to help her, as is possible. You must politely insist that the vet carries out the relevant blood tests AND shares the findings with you. If they refuse to do so then I'd suggest they are the bad vet and you should try another.
The other vet is "bad" according to people who have had dealings with him because apparently they mis-diagose things, e.g. someone I know took a cat in, (can't go into details) but that vet diagnosed one thing, took him for a second opinion and the other et said it was something completely different!
Other person took their rabbit in when rabbit wasn't eating, the "bad" vet trimmed rabbits teeth back, but that made things worse and rabbit died!

When Beauty goes in next I'll ask for a copy of all their findings and I'll leep you all informed.

Catsey Veteran

29-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
What about calling the other vet and sounding them out for yourself, ask how knowledgable they are on CRF cats and what treatments can you expect from them etc.
On another note, it is quite a good idea to take note or ask for copies of the blood values as and when they are done. This way you can keep an eye on how the CRF is progressing.
I would also be questioning current vet on the various treatments available for Beauty and what would be suitable for her.
Extra B vitamins are very good for CRf cats, these can do no harm as they are water soluble, so any excess will simply be flushed from her system as excess waste.
If she'll take them! We've tried adding things to her food (e.g. vet advised cod liver oil for her arthritis) but anything added to her food she won't touch!

Thanks for the advice though!