Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese
27-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #21

Re: Burmese anyone?

My two previous cats were chocolate Burmese (brother and sister) - she had to be PTS at 11 but I had Leo until two weeks before his 18th birthday - they are fantastic affectionate cats.

I now have a 13 year old Burmese rescue cat - again very loveable - follows us round like a dog.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #22

CRF is common in cats full stop I think........but maybe ahigher report rate in pedigree's just because they can break down the "pattern" to a greater extent. I hope you find the one you are looking for to complete the family Angie when will the lady phone you back?

With regard to talking cats my two spoke to each other...... there again that was when I was presentand maybe they were being polite and including me in the conversations..........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesy
CRF is something I now worry about with Maxi and Maisy Moo after reading that Maine Coons can be prone to that condition . The only thing I can do is just keep my fingers crossed that they will not develope it.
It's not an automatic death sentence as it was once; cats with it can live for more years now with advances in mediation and treatment, thank God!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #24

Not heard back from the Burmese rescue lady. Perhaps she's on holiday atm. I will phone again next week. I am quite keen on a Burmese.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
28-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #25

Yes CRf has become common place but mostly in elderly cats and as part of the aging process but some pedigrees are more prone than others and often at a much younger age, such as siamese, burmese and maincoon, now this may have something to do with breeding, I am not sure.
Yes it is a risk you take with any cat and there are things you can do to help prevent such feed less dry foods as they make the kidneys work so much harder.
I think it is also a question of finding a good breeder that you can discuss these things with.