Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
14-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #21

Re: Cats Protection.... :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Unfortunately the CP rules are just guidelines which the branches operate by, so essentially they interpret them how they see fit. Also, it's very difficult, because even with a branch like ours which is quite forward looking as we have a super co-ordinator, some of the volunteers who get involved have very strong views and tend to impose those rather than follow prescribed guidelines.
Like Yola said is correct. My local one is the one that also follows that rules, which was originally dicated by head office.

Take this example: 10 month old kitten(s) which have been in since they were tiny in our isolation unit with ringworm. A year ago we would have rehomed them as indoor only cats (and in many cases would have gone much quicker), this year we had to rehome our last two pairs as outdoors only but going in a rural area.

The only ones that they are going to rehome ones as indoors only are (in no particular order): blind cats, deaf cats, ones are over 3 which have been indoors only their whole life or FIV cats. We have some elderly cats (think 14+) which in the past they may have been rehomed as indoors only (as they tend not to be bothered about going outside) but again they are not allowed to be indoors only any more.

But like Yola said, try explaining the case, but some managers can be rude and so belligerent that it may not get you anywhere.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #22

It's very sad - generally CP do such a good job looking after cats in need.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
14-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
It's very sad - generally CP do such a good job looking after cats in need.
It is because (at least Head office thinks) that cats should be given the chance to go outside, whether they want to or not. I personally disagree with that to some extent, for example the ringworm kittens situation.

But what I don't get is that what is there to stop someone lying to the rehoming officer (or whoever conducts the visit) and saying that they will let out their 8 week old kitten when the time is right when in reality they dont? Yes I know there is the post homing visit, but if it is done 3 months later they could lie the second time. If anything else is fine, then who is to know?