Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
17-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #21

Re: pilling a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I have always wondered about these - you have obviously found them helpful, but I would worry about the possibility of scratching the cat's throat especially with the first use. Much easier with an elderly cat with little fight in him (my Merlin for example) but with a young feisty animal???
You don't stick the pill popper down their throat though - just between their front teeth and it "pops" the pill onto the back of their throat.

I have managed with a crotchety old cat who fights anything and my youngster who had tablets 3 times daily for 3 months and no scratches or injuries

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
17-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #22

Thanks Soupie for clarifying this for me. Sounds like a good idea!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #23

That was very illuminating, Soupie, thanks! I had no idea that was the way they worked; will look into getting one as Leia, as you may know, is impossible to pill!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
17-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #24

Another tip is, once you have got the pill into the cats mouth , is to blow (gently!) onto the cat's nose-it helps to encourage a reflex reaction to swallow.