Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
26-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #21

Re: Teddie update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
The article in this month's Cat World mag r.e. raw feeding (I posted a thread about this and a link to the article the other day) Is saying that the current thinking is that dry food does absolutely nothing to help a cat's teeth - interesting reading!
You beat me to this Fran!! I was going to say the same!! I have a cat that won't touch dry food, but a chicken wing (raw) every few weeks seems to keep on top of her teeth and any potential plaque problems.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #22

Charlie, I've always been told that you mustn't give a cat bones!! Perforated intestines or bones stuck in throat, or other horrid things...but apparently that must be wrong if you've been doing it for ages. And, thinking about it a bit, in the wild they eat birds and rodents, including bones...? Am I completely wrong about this? What does everyone else think...love to get your opinions!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
26-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #23

Eileen - I think (and correct me if I'm wrong here . . . ) that it's only meat that's been cooked shouldn't be given to cats. That's when the bone splinters - raw is OK.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
26-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #24

I'll look into this for Teddie. It would seem it would be better for her than risking trying her on dry food again. No further problems to report with her today, and I have increased her HiLife slightly today.

Catsey Veteran

26-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by yola
Eileen - I think (and correct me if I'm wrong here . . . ) that it's only meat that's been cooked shouldn't be given to cats. That's when the bone splinters - raw is OK.
Well, that makes sense, Yola...maybe I'll try a chicken wing with Ms. Picky and see what she does....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
27-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Charlie, I've always been told that you mustn't give a cat bones!! Perforated intestines or bones stuck in throat, or other horrid things...but apparently that must be wrong if you've been doing it for ages. And, thinking about it a bit, in the wild they eat birds and rodents, including bones...? Am I completely wrong about this? What does everyone else think...love to get your opinions!
Yes, Yola is right. Cooked bones can be really dangerous as they can splinter and get stuck and cause the cat to choke. Raw bones are fine though - just like they would have in the wild. If cats catch a bird or a mouse they will eat all of it (bones included) apart from the gall bladder - that's if they haven't just caught it for fun!!!

My vet when I lived in Australia actually started me on the raw chicken wing feeding, as my fussy eater won't eat dried food. The first time she had one she just played with it a bit, threw it up in the air and didn't really seem to know what to do with it................but since then she has been wolfing them down!!!

(Too much raw food can apparently cause constipation, so don't over-do it!!)

xx

Catsey Veteran

27-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #27

Thanks, Charlie, think I'll give it a try!

Catsey Veteran

29-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #28

Well folks, we are back to square one. I increased her HiLife by a small amount but it was obviously too much for her stomach (unless she has managed to sneak something else on top of it) and she has the runs again quite badly. She will be starved from now until tomorrow morning again and then back on just plain fish once more. OH and I have decided that she will probably have to fed on the plain fish for life which is what will happen now. I think in a few weeks I will buy a few pouches of HiLife and add the same amount she had been on up until yesterday morning and see if she will tolerate that long term because at least then she would be getting some of the nutrients from a cat food. I was looking at the kitzyme tablets today but am wary of adding them to her diet as we all know how delicate the balance is. We shall just have to see how she goes. However, she is still playing and using the scratching post etc and seems bright still, so hopefully this will be sorted before the effects kick in.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
29-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #29

Ho hum. Here's the link to the raw feeding site, which gives a recipe, listing all those trace elements your cat needs (apparently) http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html
You might be able to sneak in a little trace of the vitamins/minerals occasionally with her fish?. I tend to agree that she needs food in her, and which stays in her system long enough for her to utilise, and if it's only fish that you can get in, so be it.
Remind me how she did on chicken? I assume that is a no-no too?
If you are feeling very brave one day you might try offerering her a whole raw sardine. Bet that's got a lot more in the way of esential oils & who-knows-what than plain white fish. If that's OK you can try a wider spectrum of fish & seafood and get some variety in that way.
Good luck. Are you OK for the canikur?

Catsey Veteran

29-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #30

Thanks for that DM. It made interesting reading, but not something I'll be trying soon. But I'll have alook around for those salmon oil capsules, they sound good and should be okay with her. The chicken didn't work for her at all. The sardine idea is good too, but I'll hold off on that until I get her tummy settled again, but as you say if she tolerates it then hopefully she'll be able to enjoy more variety of fish. I still have a 5 days worth of granules so will give her a few of them with her next few meals and hopefully that will help settle her own quicker. x