Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
02-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #21

Re: Chronic Diarrohea

Hope the tests come back with an answer and you can get the poor girl well

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
02-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #22

I hope you get some answer from these tests so you can start treatment properly. Good luck.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
03-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #23

Have you thougt of inflamatory bowel disease
http://maxshouse.com/inflammatory_bowel_disease.htm
my catb has it and get by ok on special food. it doesn't make her have diarrhoea but it can she presents with vomiting. and is fed hills science plan prescription diet d/d and sensitivity control which I think you are feeding marble already. Below are some links to other diets you can try.
http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_2/prod...bmLocale=en_GB

http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IA...L&productID=60

http://us.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/IA...L&productID=64

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com....aspx?prod=240

ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet™ feline HYPOALLERGENIC HP 23™ is a highly palatable, highly digestible, hydrolyzed soy protein isolate diet that is specifically formulated to assist the diagnosis and management of adverse reactions to food.

ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet™ feline INTESTINAL HE 30™ is a complete and balanced diet specifically designed to assist the management of adult cats with gastrointestinal disease.
I don't know if any of them will help but I felt better knowing that there were diet available that could help Tilly. As for a while I thought I was going to be feeding her chicken for the rest of her life as that was all that would stay down. But she is now doing much better on her special diet and is very rarely sick. I know the problem are slightly different but it might be the same problem.

Hope you can get it sorted very soon. feel free to pm me if I can help you or you have any question to ask.

Sally

Cats owned: Half bengal
Marble is Male
05-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #24

No joy with the Canikur yet. Food seems to be getting from one end to the other in literally 5 minutes so I'm not sure if it's getting time to do its thing. No wonder she is so thin, she cant be getting anything good out of the food. She still seems very happy in herself and has plenty of energy - especially around meal times!

The results should be in from the Vets in a couple of days time so I pray something (cureable) comes up positive.

Thanks for the advice on the other diets, anything must be better than what she is currently on. We may as well be feeding her bars of butter for all the good its going

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
05-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #25

Have you ever used an invalid diet? Steamed (or microwaved) plain white fish or boiled chicken (skin removed)? I'd always use that for a pet with diarrhoea as a first resort (and obviously keep the option of veterinary interference etc for later if necessary). I'd feed little and often and keep the animal on it for at least 48 hours, before slowly reintroducing 'normal' food.

Have you had a lot of fireworks to add to her current stress?

Good luck, again. Maybe the vet will find something organic?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Worlds No 1 Moggy and 2 Selkirk Rex
05-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #26

Just had my boy diagnosed with IBD after having all the tests mentioned so feel for you.

One thing I would mention is if your vet does faecal samples then get them to test for triTrichomonas - not well known over here yet but increasing and particularly common in multi cat households.

Hope all goes well

Cats owned: Half bengal
Marble is Male
08-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #27

Bad news on the faecal tests - all came back negative. Some Ecoli and Entricrocus was present but apparently that is not usually the cause of such long term problems. So blood tests booked in for Saturday and if all fails, a gut biopsy (£500 I think!!!). Everyone outside the direct family is suggesting the easy way out, but its not something I think I could live with, especially if its cureable. I shall remind my father-in-law of his advice when its him on the block!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
08-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #28

drat!!! I had the same thing with Teddie though and nothing was ever found to be the cause, though the vet took it to be that she had IBS and was treated accordingly. Has she been tried on metronidazole at all? I only ask because it is a treatment for giardia AND ibs, and when neither can be proven, as giardia is very hard to find, then it may be worth her having a dose of that to try. Hope you find something soon x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
08-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #29

Often it is necessary to send more than one stool sample as it can be very difficult to detect some of the bugs/parasites etc.. you are looking for. My vet told me this, I was lucky that they picked up the giardia on the first sample I sent but my vet said that was quite unusual. I had the bowel biopsy done on Porsha and tbh, it was a waste of money, all it indicated was there was a mild imflammation which could be due to any cause including the diarrhoea itself!! I had food allergy tests done and those revealed some quite interesting results! That Porsha is infact allergic to ALL the common meats. I was at a point where I nearly called it a day but now I have found a diet that suits her, she's flying, no more diarrhoea, she's a well grown cat and a very happy one at that. In retrospect, I would have had the allergy tests done before the biopsies but as the insurance were paying and my vet wanted to do it this way, that's how it happened. Incidently, has your vet prescribed a course of metronidazole before doing all these invasive tests?? This is a very good gut antibiotic and it helps calm any inflammtion in there too. It might be worth trying this before you go down the root of gut biopsies, it's quite a big op with an element of risk. Good luck, I hope you get to the root of the problem x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
08-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #30

Ah, back to square one.
Alex and Fran (and my daughter, but she's not on this board) have been in the same place and all thought, at one time or another, that there might only be one sad solution. BUT - they've all got happy, pretty healthy, cats now.

I'd advise you to pick their brains (by PM maybe, if you don't want to give us too much dirty talk) and make up your own mind on the way forward.

No-one here will be judgemental - it is you in the situation and it must be your solution.

Very best of luck.