Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggies
13-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #21

Re: My niece!

Oh Alex I hope everything gets sorted. I have just read this thread and I think that the authorities need to take a seriously close look at this Home.... It is totally disgusting that the social services in this day and age still work like they did in the 60's and 70's That your neice has been subject to such an attack shows that they dont't know what they are doing at all. I hope SIL gets a satisfactory result from the meeting and also the girls that did this to your neice get the punishment they deserve. This appears to be current with the Happy Slapping offences that has become a plague at the moment.

Hugs and best wishes to you all. Keep your chin up. XX

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #22

Alex - I was thinking about this whilst i was working this morning. I think your family have a case against whoever was supposed to be taking care of your niece - they surely failed in their duty of care. I'm sorry I'm not well enough versed in Scottish law, but I think your people should either find a solicitor to advise them under the free half-hour scheme (if they have that north of the border) or else contact their MSP and get something going. Not necessarily looking for 'compensation' etc - just to make sure nothing like this ever happens again and to let the authorities know that they will need to take better care of your niece - and maybe even get her into the right place to get the correct help - the treatment she needs.
They should write a letter of complaint to the person in charge of the home, that person's boss and the national head of the service, together with a copy to their MSP and a copy to the Government Minister responsible. (Keep a copy)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #23

That sounds like excellent advice from DM! The whole situation is just unbelievable...the family desperately needs help, and they're not getting it!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
13-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #24

Well, the meeting has started so I'm waiting to find out what happens! My SIL has in the past 2 months contacted her MSP, waste of time, her solicitor, well you heard about the letter received back from social work, the care home, they admit that they are not meeting my nieces needs, but their hands are tied by social work. She is now threatening to go to the press with this! Social work keep saying that they 'don't have the resources' to do anything else with my niece, but tbh, the opinion in the family is that because my niece comes from a stable background, has lots of family round her and has wanted for nothing her whole life, then they're not really interested, but if my SIL was a single mum on drink and drugs, and not giving a monkeys about my niece then there would be plenty done, because then she would be a statisitc they could hold up, saying, haven't we done well!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
13-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #25

Keep battling.
There are others I mentioned in the list who you haven't tried.
Don't give up that easily!

Catsey Veteran

13-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #26

I will pass that advice on to my SIL tonight DM, thanks!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
13-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #27

What a sad situation I really hope something can be sorted out Alex x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
13-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #28

I have just read this post and I am appalled at the treatment of you SIL's daughter. It is a shame that they won'ty do anything it is astonishing that they would send her back to where she was attacked.
Hope it all get sorted very soon ((HUGS )) to you and your SIL

Sally

Catsey Veteran

13-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #29

Oh you are not going to believe this!! They basically spent the entire meeting trying to get my SIL to take my niece back home as the childrens home is not a safe place for her at the moment. If they could maybe send her to her dads for a few days, then to her grandparents and to her mums etc. If my SIL had agreed to this then they would have been back where they started and social work wouldn't take her back in because she was back in a family environment. And do you know the reason the home isn't a safe place for her? Go on, guess!!! That's right! They've only gone and put the girl who attacked her BACK there!!!!! She has been charged with serious assault against my niece, but social work said that the childrens home had to take her back in! Utterly unbelievable. My niece is at her grandparents for tonight until they can put other arangements in place for her, but they don't know where to put her. My SIL went absolutely ape at them in the meeting. Also the child psychologist and the headmaster from my nieces school were not allowed to take part in the meeting, and they were kept waiting outside for over anhour and a half! She is now writing to everyone she can think of, but feels that they are trying to use emotional blackmail against her to get her to take my niece back! And yes, that would solve this problem, but it wouldn't solve any of the reasons why my niece is in care in the first place! I am absolutely spitting mad tonight!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #30

Simply unbelievable! Didn't you say that the reason your niece wasn't with her mother is that she'd threatened to harm her and the baby? And they want to send her back there? I cannot fathom the mind-set that would think of that as a solution... Lots of prayers coming your way, Alex....can't do anything else....