Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
23-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #21

Re: Neighbour has got a dog..

Maybe the rescue it came from should know how it is being treated...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 Mad Moggies
24-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #22

Hello

Just read this and OMG! you have to report this, you cannot treat a dog like that, i have 3 cats and a puppy all the cats were unhappy when we brought the pup home, the kitten had never been further than the garden but when the dog came he left home for 2 days, but in time they have all got used to each other and now they are all fine.

After a nice long walk the dog can't be bothered to chase the cats and if he does we are here to teach him what he can and cant do, the kitten usually ambushes him while he's sleeping.

If this dog is not being excercised properley then he has to amuse himself somehow.

Sounds like cruelty to me and a call to the rescue is definately needed before someone gets hurt, including the dog!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
24-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #23

Think that is the way to go Donna, give the rescue a ring...Makes you wonder if they assessed this person before they got the dog, and if they had homechecked would have seen the fence was not big enough....Really hope it can be resolved, and you and your cats can settle down again...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 5 Mad Moggies
24-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #24

If this guy was a REAL animal lover he would be just as concerned for your cats too, sounds like he couldn't give a damn about any of them. He shouldn't have an animal at all!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
24-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #25

He is an older man on his own suffering from depression. A guy down the road took him to the rescue as he thought he might feel better having a dog as a companion.

I dont know where this will go TBH, I suppose he has a right to have a dog as much as I have a right to have cats - but to have a largish dog in a built up area with small gardens seems a bit daft to me.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
25-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #26

Sorry to hear about your neigbour problems, I've experienced a similar problem with my next door neighbours, about 6 months after we moved to our house they got a Jack Russel puppy, at the time we had a small broken wire fence between our gardens, my cats were less than happy about it, and ended up staying indoors as much as possible.

We put up a high fence that week but 3 years later the dog still endlessly barks at the cats whenever she hears the catflap or the cats scratching the trees or anything, its very annoying but the cats have learnt over time that the dog can't get to them so they seem relaxed about it really, and quite often when I hear the dog barking for 5 mins non stop I look out and see one of my cats on the shed/fence or in one of the top windows just looking down at her with a smug look .

I guess I'm lucky its just a little dog really, something else thats similar though is they don't seem to walk the dog, its usually just out in the yard all day and evening, this summer holiday though they must have been taking her out more because we've hardly seen her and when we have noticed her in the yard she is very quiet and doesn't even bother barking at the cats (its been a great ), maybe your neighbours dog needs to burn off some energy & then it might loose interest in the cats, if the owner isn't capable or can't be bothered to excersise the dog and give it the stimulation it needs it will probably carry on.

I would definatly concider reporting him to the rescue place, if its making your life difficult and the dog is missing some of the basic care giving it needs what choice do you have? Even if hes depressed its no excuse to not walk a dog, yes he has a right to have a dog IF its looked after properly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
25-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #27

Walking the dog might even help his depression. I find a good long walk with Caleb great therapy!!

Catsey Veteran

25-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #28

Well the dog walking idea is great for depression as most people want to hide away from people. So to have to go out with the dog is a way to get some fresh air and meet like minded people - something next door could well do with!!

Dont want to fall out with him so will try a strong hint the next time i see him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
25-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #29

Its a very sticky situation Donna, it must be difficuly, upseting your neighbours is awful, you have to live next to them! Being tactful can also helpful, (says the person who's tact is 0%! ) I wish you luck.
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #30

Remember this story???

Well the neighbour has now got rid of the dog back to the rescue as "it was too boisterous". Glad the dog is no longer there, but feel sorry for it as it has not had a good life so far.

Also now informs me that after being in the house less than a year and spending thousands changing it and doing it up to his style he is moving.

Just dont think this man has a clue what he wants!!