Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
30-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #21

Re: What happens when we die?

I have posted this on another thread, but I SWEAR the night my hubby died I saw hims tnading in my bedroom doorway watching me, as if to make sure I would be ok.

For a while after, and soemtiems now when i am down, I feel he is here with me. But that could be a deep unconsciouss need for comfort.

when I went to view Huby in the funeral home a weird thing happened. I was standing next to his casket, looking in at him, thinking how peacefull he loked, and I DID NOT take a single step, but felt like 2-3 times I was tugged towards the casket ( i as actually afraid at the time to get too close to it, for fear of breaking down inf ront of other people there). It was like you see in a film, where somebody is stnading there looking into a cofin and the camera zooms in a few times in stages. (if you get what i mean, it's hard to describe)

Have no idea what it was or what it meant.

Also when I was in labour with ryan i was VERY ill, and I remember this one time I was laying there and I could only see white, no tunnel or anything. And I remember thinking " good I'm dead the pains stopped" Then slowly the room came back into focus, but with no sound, and people were rushing about. I was in my body but feeling like I was watching through somebody else's eyes.
After a few mintues sound came into focus.
I dont say it was a near death experience, but I know some people would.
Maybe it was a mix of 6 bottles of gas and air over the previous 3 days! And pethidine, and various other drugs!!!

I think It's a question you'll never get a defininte answer to. Even if people here can gives account of what they strongly feel is proof of an afterlife, you COULD still sit there and think " what a lot of rubbish dont believe them".

I think it's one of those things that unless the proof happens to you, youu dont always believe it.

It seems difficult to think we're here slogging our lives away and then poof, gone, waht for? but it seems equally difficult, in my mind, to belive we go on to another world / dimension / reality.

I didnt belive in ghosts or anything until my hubby died, now i bleive there is "something" of that person welsot that stays with us. Maybe just a subconciousmemory of them, like why do I sometiems smell my late husbands aftershave when I am on my own?

It all deends what you belive, and what life experiences you have had

Catsey Junior

01-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #22

I defo think this is down to faith. I'd love to think that there is something more out there, something we all move onto... but I just don't. I think when we die, thats it, thats the end. Sad, but final. But a part of that belief comes from having a number of people close to me die, and seeing them and their reactions to their end approaching. I admire some peoples absoloute faith in there being 'something else' and think it must be comforting feeling that towards the end... and I do wonder if I will change my mind as I get older... but I cant seeing happening *shrug*

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
03-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #23

Quote:
I have posted this on another thread, but I SWEAR the night my hubby died I saw hims tnading in my bedroom doorway watching me, as if to make sure I would be ok.

My father had this exact same experience when my mother died. I also had a premonition of my mother's death and I also had, what I can only believe was a dream that my mum came back to me the night after she died and told me that she had only suffered a very brief "blinding flash" and then nothing (she suffered a brain haemorrhage). She told me that "he" had let her come to see me and that she was glad because "it was boring up there". A friend of a friend had exactly the same dream when her mother died.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 tabbies (Gordon & Ramsay)
03-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #24

My mum had a brain haemmorage and I have always hoped that she did not suffer. Believe it or not, your post has helped me a bit.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats
03-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #25

Hi Nicola so glad that it helped - it definitely helped me at the time and I always wonder whether our brains bring these images to us to help in very stressful situations. I do know that my mother died instantly as I was with her at the time - she was only 51.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
03-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #26

How absolutely awful for you at the time! Even though it means you don't have to wonder now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
Hi Nicola so glad that it helped - it definitely helped me at the time and I always wonder whether our brains bring these images to us to help in very stressful situations. I do know that my mother died instantly as I was with her at the time - she was only 51.
How incredibly sad for you. My dad had a heart attack and he died almost instantly, that brings me some comfort. He had a brain haemorrhage too, 10 years previously and suffered incredibly. It always amazes me how complex our brains are, even the most brilliant neuro surgeons dont know everything about them!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mog
08-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #28

I have seen things/felt things that make me question the idea that death is 'it'.... i think that part of us that some would call a soul, is an energy that like all energy cannot be lost just transferred, and i think it is that which makes up what some would call ghosts or spirits.
I dont know though if those ghosts are 'real' as in they can do things, think, feel etc, or are they just a sort of energy memory - the countless stories of ghosts that appaer to replay something time and time again suggest that the latter is more likely.... i dont know.

That said, i do not particularly believe in 'life after death', im not in the slightest bit religious im afraid that whilst i recognise the humans need to believe in a greater being, for many people they would be better learning to believe in themselves. That need to believe in a greater power, in the 'hereafter' I think has lead to us offering ourselves up to abuse.... its happened all through history, and its happening now with religious terrorists, and i daresay it will continue to happen so as nice as i think it is to be able to believe there is something better, we were put here by a higher being.... i just think its all a fabrication bourne of our own deep human need to have some kind of faith in something.....

The things i have seen i saw mostly as a child.... nothing that leads me to think 'ghosts' are a kind of weird replay....

When i was very small we lived in a large (five beds, scullery in the cellar, staff quarters in the attic, etc etc) victorian semi..... this had two very large main bedrooms and a third smaller one on the first floor.... one of these large rooms was mine and i had odd 'dreams' in that room.... almost nightmares, im not sure i remember the feelings correctly now as this was 22 years ago. There was definately a feeling of fear, and in my dreams i saw a young girl, a few years older than myself at the time. It was always summer in the dreams, yet she was in bed, with a ton of blankets and a fire going in the fireplace. Claerly she was not well and i think i was feeling something similar to how she must have felt.

I was four at the time and when i finally managed to get my mother to listen to me (not the greatest of people for listening to a child), she was decidedly freaked otu that i described things about the victorian period that i could NEVER have known.... evenutally she looked up the people who had built the house and found the original people had a daughter who had died one summer of a fever (dont knwo what).

Ive felt one of my old cats who died in that house as well.... but not sufficently to be 100% sure..... just a cat brushing past my legs going up the stairs, a cat winding round my legs in certani rooms.... but no cat there when i look (and following that particular cats death we didnt get any more for 4 years).

Enough ramble from me!

Em

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
08-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #29

All i say is we can never be sure, so lets not bank on there being more than this-and just enjoy the bloody ride whilst we can!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
09-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis-Equus
That said, i do not particularly believe in 'life after death', im not in the slightest bit religious im afraid that whilst i recognise the humans need to believe in a greater being, for many people they would be better learning to believe in themselves. That need to believe in a greater power, in the 'hereafter' I think has lead to us offering ourselves up to abuse.... its happened all through history, and its happening now with religious terrorists, and i daresay it will continue to happen so as nice as i think it is to be able to believe there is something better, we were put here by a higher being.... i just think its all a fabrication bourne of our own deep human need to have some kind of faith in something.....
Em
Whilst know