Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
10-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #21

Re: FIV positive.

I'd like to see your FIV article (if I haven't already) think I may have seen it on CC?

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Mainly ferals
10-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
Yes it's an inhouse test.
I have no idea on the reliablility of it, but would guess it must be very high otherwise surely it would not be licensed?
There are loads of cats euthanised daily because of the inhouse test and I worry about how many poor cats have had their life ended for nothing ........it is TOTALLY unreliable. I would get the bloods sent off to Glasgow for confirmation, the test can be right but can also be very wrong.

Catsey Junior

10-11-2006, 12:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
I'd like to see your FIV article (if I haven't already) think I may have seen it on CC?
I'll send it to you......it is worth reading and very educational

I think I've got your email address somewhere but could you resend it to me, the article is too big to be sending via pm. I'll also send you an FeLV article.

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2006, 12:48 AM   #24

kelly@newton5030.fsnet.co.uk

thanks Dawn.

Catsey Junior

10-11-2006, 12:59 AM   #25

I've sent them to you Kelly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
10-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #26

I am not very clued up on this subject, wanted to give Polly ((((((hugs)))))) x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
10-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #27

SMudgely, not only is there a 7% chance of an in house FIV test being wrong (although 42% for FeLV), they both test for differnt things - the snap test is an antibody test, whereas the Glasgow one is the virus isolation test, which is the main reason why they can be wrong (and why both are licenced), esp on FeLV, as with FeLV, they can fight it and gain an immunity to it, but in the beginning would have antibodies in their blood. Other reasons are contamination and the vet not doing the test right. I really really would recommend getting this confirmed via Glasgow, she could be one of that 7%. ALL positive tests should be confirmed, and with FeLV, retested in 12 weeks in case they have come into contact and fought it.

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #28

Have had a chat with a vet, well not a vet but "the vet" today about the tests.

this is my understanding of it all now;

The ELISA test picks up antibodies in the blood as opposed to the virus, so a false positive can be obtained. But a false negative should not be possible.There maybe antibodies in the blood if the cat has been vaccinated. So as there is no vaccination for FIV then a false positive for FIV is unlikely, but a positive FeLV is possible.

So basically a negative is a negative,
A FIV positive is highly likely to be accurate
A FeLV positive could possibly be a false positive.

& the tests are 93% accurate.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
10-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #29

So pretty much what we all said then?? But if a test is 93% (and according to Glasgow who did a study confirming the in house tests that is only for FIV, FeLV is a different matter as they can shrug it off - and even a positive Glasgow test needs following up 12 weeks later for that reason) accurate, then your 'A FIV positive is highly likely to be accurate' means there is a 7% chance it isn't. IT doesn't sound like you are going to be getting this test confirmed though.

Catsey Veteran

10-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktigger
So pretty much what we all said then?? Yes

But if a test is 93% (and according to Glasgow who did a study confirming the in house tests that is only for FIV, FeLV is a different matter as they can shrug it off - and even a positive Glasgow test needs following up 12 weeks later for that reason) accurate, then your 'A FIV positive is highly likely to be accurate' means there is a 7% chance it isn't. IT doesn't sound like you are going to be getting this test confirmed though.
Don't agree.
I think a FeLV positive may be inacurate (with a 7% chace of being wrong), but a FIV positive is very likely to be a positive.