Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #21

Re: Cats Protection Volunteers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Sorry that was me
Ello Lainey

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
22-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcspik
kazz: I am already an volunteer.

random: it seems strange. Was yours a branch or one with an adoption centre? If it was a branch, then I am sure that you could have helped, for example in their shop (if they had one) or on the fundraising side. Usually with volunteer run branches (ones without an adoption centre) the people who are running them have full time jobs, so it is possible that they could have forgotten. But saying that, the branches do vary. Our adoption centre's covers half of an another branch (no shelter). Half the time, we have to pass information onto them, as people are generally unaware that they exist! Plus unlike the other 5 branches we share our territory with (only 1 other adoption centre) that particular one won't do any home visits for us, even though in a lot of cases, they are closer.
No adoption centre, they do have a shop and my sister had actually asked to work in (she went in the shop and asked) but they didn't need anyone apparently. As I said the main branch seemed very welcoming and enthusiastic and they sent out info and stuff, emails e.t.c and our branch sent out a letter but that was it and never returned calls. I just got to thinking that perhaps I couldn't do anything they needed people for doing, like transporting and fostering.

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli

You would be no good as a foster Random..................you would keep them all!!!
Hahahah shhhhh You know me so well Moli lol! I said no sorry, but not fostering, as much as i'd like to I know my limitations and 6 permanent feline residents are enough!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
22-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I have often thought of getting involved but the Aberdeen branch is sooo up it's own backside, they'd much rather bitch and backstab amongst themselves as well as it being a case of "if your face fits".
We used to have a worker like that. Fortunately she has now left, and works in a local vet. Apparently (according to one of our Cat Care Assistants who used to work there) she is not very popular there, and the vets will only use her to assist if there is no other person available.

We are luckily as far as the cat care assistants goes, we have some really nice people. But saying that we had once a person who completely ignored a nasty cat fight and was more ingrossed in talking to the (temporary) manager. In fact that is what she spent most of the time doing.

random: if it has been a while I would try again. The last but one manager we had was completely useless and turned a lot of people away (in fact she spent a lot of time in the office with the door locked). Our current manager is wanting more people to volunteer. But she presses more for people to come and clean which is not suitable for everyone. But we need more people to come and spend time with the cats too!

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
22-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin
I have often thought of getting involved but the Aberdeen branch is sooo up it's own backside, they'd much rather bitch and backstab amongst themselves as well as it being a case of "if your face fits". Personally I find that kinda stuff dispicable, it should be about the animals and not about whether you like this person or not. There are many people i dont much care for but I cannt fault them on how they look after their animals.
Sorry for the rant but it makes me mad.
Hello Elaine in disguise lol.
It is confusing when your sister does that...
Elaines reasons are EXACTLY why I no longer volunteer for them... Though it has been 7 years since I did... But reading between the lines, it has got worse since! Should be about the cats, not peoples egos, totally agree with Elaine on this!
I always seem to be sucking up your bottom Elaine, but as usual you speak such sense...

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by random
No adoption centre, they do have a shop and my sister had actually asked to work in (she went in the shop and asked) but they didn't need anyone apparently. As I said the main branch seemed very welcoming and enthusiastic and they sent out info and stuff, emails e.t.c and our branch sent out a letter but that was it and never returned calls. I just got to thinking that perhaps I couldn't do anything they needed people for doing, like transporting and fostering.
There is a lot more to it than fostering and transporting though....Its a shame, you would have been brilliant... Pity you are not up here, we are desperate for people...

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 x DSH, all FIV+
22-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #27

Also although I primarily help out in the adoption centre I have also done street collecting. I am sure that most branches will appreciate help with the fundraising side. It's probably a bit late in the year (most branches have finished their street collections this year) though. There is also the paperwork side (mostly but not limited to issuing neutering vouchers). There is a lot more to the CP than cleaning up after cat poo!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwoman999
Hello Elaine in disguise lol.
It is confusing when your sister does that...
Elaines reasons are EXACTLY why I no longer volunteer for them... Though it has been 7 years since I did... But reading between the lines, it has got worse since! Should be about the cats, not peoples egos, totally agree with Elaine on this!
I always seem to be sucking up your bottom Elaine, but as usual you speak such sense...
Suck away, I love a good ego massage
No seriously though, it does really annoy me. One recent instance was when i friend of mine, who is an SSPCA inspector and helps out for CP with fostering and kitten rearing etc, anyway she had 2 feral kittens in and asked me if I knew of any one who would take them on. I rang around and texted people I thought would be suitable, knowledgable and experienced with ferals. One woman came forward and said that she would be happy to help. Now I know this woman personally, she has years of experience with ferals, years of experience with working for the CP in a different area and aALL of her cats are well cared for and healthy.
The SSPCA friend then said that she wanted to rehome the kitten via the CP so that they would get the renumeration for it at the year end. When she conacted the CP and put my friend forward for the kittens, she was told not to rehome them to my friend as her cats were diseased.
What angers me most is that NO ONE has EVER gone out to do a home check on my friend and these lies come from an Aberdeen Outer branch after my friend had asked them if she could borrow a trap, and even they hadnt been out to do a home check.
Each individual should be judged on their own merit and in order to do that you must do a home check.

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #29

Thats ridiculous and if it was me, I would be complaining....

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
There is a lot more to it than fostering and transporting though....Its a shame, you would have been brilliant... Pity you are not up here, we are desperate for people...
Oh I know there is a lot more to it otherwise I wouldn't have bothered volunteering but perhaps they have all those positions filled, I really don't know Moli as the main branch I spoke to seemed really pleased as I had experience in looking after cats and all things cat, lol, not like i'm a novice but nevermind! I think a train ride up there is probably a little bit too far out of my way.