Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #21

Re: Healing vibes needed please

Thanks PP.
Matt has just called, it is vestibular syndrome and her ear is very infected, she is now on antibiotics.
One of my biggest issues now is that she is currently with the "vets now" practice and they want her moved tomorrow either to her own vets or home. I am not comfortable that they want to move her at all tbh and have said this to Matt, I also stressed that I would not be comfortable with her coming home until the owners are back as I cannt be there 24/7 to watch over her.
The other issue is that she is currently refusing food, probably due to the nausea. Matt is going to see her today, I suggested that he take some chicken, ham or such like with him and try feeding her by hand.
I am also a bit angry that the first vet was pretty much all for having her pts when I brought her in yesterday morning and said that if she hadnt improved in 12 hours then it was unlikely that she would recover at all. Having read up on canine strokes and vestibular syndrome, everything says not to expect significant improvements for up to a few weeks. Not likeing this whole "vets now" thing that vets are signing up to.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
12-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #22

Sorry to hear about the awful time you have had Elaine and am pleased that the Dog has vestibular syndrome rather than a stroke. I hope she makes a good recovery.
That does sound very worrying what the first vet said, sounds like she had the poor Dog written off.
What is vets now , please Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #23

I hope that the owner's son can negotiate something with the emergency vets - perhaps transfer the dog to her own practice until the owners come home.

Glad it wasn't a stroke - the reaction of the first vet is extremely worrying if it is an indication about the general state of veterinary practice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #24

Pleased that it's not a stroke, but distressed at the actions of the vet! PTS indeed!!! What is "vets now"?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
12-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #25

The 'vets now' arrangment, is that like an on-call, Elaine? if so, that initial vet's intuition and quick offer of PTS is very worrying
So glad for you and the spaniel that you had the info about vestibular disease and that you knew about her ear trouble. Lets hope the doggie improves soon and can be tempted to eat a little now.

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #26

This explains the Vets Now thing
http://www.vets-now.com/VetsNewsDetail.aspx?id=1702
But what they dont do, it would seem is find out about the animals health history or diagnose
They have still not committed themselves to a proper diagnosis of Missy's condition and are pretty much bloody well guessing, her notes say, stroke, epilepsy and vestibular syndrome
They want her out by 7 am tomorrow morning and her vet doesnt open shop until 9 am
If any one uses a vet practice who has signed up to this "vets now" shambles, I'd personally recomend they change to a practice that doesnt use them.

On a lighter note though, Missy seems to be a bit more settled in herself and has eaten some food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #27

Thanks for that link, Elaine. Sounds good in theory, but I'm certainly not impressed at the treatment your dog received. What are they going to do at 7 am if she's not picked up ... put her out in the street?

I'm fortunate, my vet IS the 24 hour emergency service also.

Catsey Veteran

12-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Thanks for that link, Elaine. Sounds good in theory, but I'm certainly not impressed at the treatment your dog received. What are they going to do at 7 am if she's not picked up ... put her out in the street?

I dont know, Mathew is calling them again later so will see...

I'm fortunate, my vet IS the 24 hour emergency service also.
Mine too. I feel really quite mad about it all and what the site doesnt tell you either is that they charge £120 before you even walk through the door. Now you probably wouldnt mind paying that IF thay actually did something to diagnose and treat your pet instead of guessing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
12-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #29

Pleased that Missy is improving - not thanks to the initial vet it would appear.

Sounds like Vets Now should be avoided - glad mine has its own 24hr service.

Hope Missy gets the care she needs at her own vet or at home. How frustrating all this must be for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #30

Mine also has its own 24 hour service, albeit in another town - at least they have access to the animal's computer records within the practice.

I am glad to hear that Missy is eating - that's a very good sign.