Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Siamese.Maine Coon. moggies
15-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #21

Re: Bliss' angry mood

Hiya Fran
I had a similar situation when I brought Jazz here at 2 years old, she hated Cleo the sealpoint on sight and there were some extremely vicious fights. They still don't get on but it is at least manageable now, and suprisingly a lot better since Boo (Maine Coon) arrived. Jazz also took her aggression/frustration out on the other cats and even the dogs. It seems to be an Alpha Female thing. Siamese/Orientals seem to like a 'pecking order' to be in place, also Jazz can be very possesive of 'her' people. I wasn't sure at the time whether it was because of her bad start in life or down to just being a highly strung Meezer! Cleo is the Applehead type and has a completely different personality....
We used Valerian drops in Jazzs water which had a calming effect, and Cleo soon learned to keep out of her way. The moggies learnt to fight back, and as with most bullies this worked and she left them alone, although if they were ever ill she seemed to sense weakness and could be quite evil to them. Luckily William moggie was a big girl and made sure she remained Pack leader.
The thing that settled her down most was being pregnant and having the kittens....gave her a focus and seemed to mellow her a lot. An experienced breeder actually told us this would happen and it did.
Things tick along now, she still has her 'bossy' moments .I think it really is part of the Oriental/Siamese temperament, and she is obviously getting to that age where she is trying out her 'powers'. They are such complicated cats!!! but so gorgeous, although having Boo has reminded me how nice it is to have a 'normal' cat!!!!! Still wouldn't be without my Meezers though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #22

That's a good idea about the tipping point! I've never had more than 3 at a time; however my breeder friends at one time had 12, and they were all generally cool with another cat being added to the family...sort of a "Ho hum, another one" attitude. They were Siamese, Orientals and moggies, one entire male and 3 entire females, plus spays/neuters. I suppose a lot depends on the individual cat's temperament,,,how is Bliss" ear doing, Fran?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
15-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #23

Sorry to hear this Fran, what a horrible thing to have happened. Hope you can fathom it all out and restore some kind of harmony between them all again.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
15-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #24

Thank you Het, I was actually going to pm you as Luke had said you had had a similar experience. It's reassuring to know that although things may never be totally harmonious that there is light at the end of the tunnel here. Perhaps a litter will calm Bliss down a little? Will have to see how things go and take each day as it comes. It's been great to hear of someone who has experienced a similar situation so thank you Het for sharing your experience.

Kazz, you mentioned that possibly one more cat may have tipped Bliss over the edge. My gut instinct is not this really, I feel it's because Ria is so timid and easily intimidated by Bliss. Bliss tried it on with Mildred when she first came but as small as Mildred was she could certainly hold her own and stood up to Bliss from day one. If Ria would stand up to Bliss then she would back down, much like she did with Clooney earlier. He rather surprised me, bless him, putting her in her place like that!

Eileen, her ear doesn't look half as bad now the bleeding has stopped and the redness has subsided. I'm going to keep it clean and bathe it in bicarb for a couple of days. Thank you for asking x

Catsey Veteran

15-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Sorry to hear this Fran, what a horrible thing to have happened. Hope you can fathom it all out and restore some kind of harmony between them all again.
Thank you Elaine, at least it has been a quieter afternoon so it's a start!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
15-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #26

I really think you may be onto something Fran, Bliss really could just be feeling her feet and thinking she's a bit great cause she can boss Ria around-shame really
I hope it mellows soon, for their sakes-and yours!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
15-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #27

Not sure a litter would help a Cat who didnt like others!!! Not sure I would breed from a Cat that was like that anyway. My opinion only.

I know it must be difficult Fran, I hope it settles down for you.
dawn.

Catsey Veteran

15-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Not sure a litter would help a Cat who didnt like others!!!
I couldn't describe Bliss as a cat that doesn't like others, as you have seen many times in the piccies I have posted, she is always curled up with someone. I think with Bliss it's more a case of wanting to be alpha queen, she just can't bear the thought of being the under dog and I do think that most of it is hormonal and the rest of it is down to her being a tortie

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
15-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #29

Now thats just plain wrong Fran!! Everybody knows its Gingers that are the naughtiest!!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

15-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Now thats just plain wrong Fran!! Everybody knows its Gingers that are the naughtiest!!
Dawn.
Well I have never, ever owned a ginner so I really can't compare but the tortie's take some beating especially Oriental ones!!!

Edit to add that I did have a ginger cat for a while when I was a small child but I really can't remember much about it other than it got run over on the road outside our house and my mum bought me a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to compensate