Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
26-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #21

Re: Kitten followed us home-advice?

Amber as i mentioned was found strayimg & is now a house cat. For the first - 2 weeks she cried almost continuously at the back door to get out. It was hard listening to her being so unhappy but then she didnt really realise what she wanted, think she had been straying for some time. The following week she came into season - all very traumatic for her. Rescue said she was too young to have come into call when i phoned the rescue but our own vet confirmed it.
Subsequent spay etc. Now some 4 months later she loves her routine & knows it so well so i reslly wouldnt worry too much about a transition from being an outside kitten to indoors. Its more to do with having a loving stable home with routines. Its lovely to watch their confidence grow from wee timid - dont know routine kitten to one who is now quite vocal confident little girl.

We lost a much loved companion dog in June last year. She was only just 10. She had liver disease & was just too tired & frail to fight anymore. If the time is right & you are ready to take another wee one into your life - never think you are replacing the one you lost, you can never do that, the little one that comes into your life & home will make their own special place in your heart. Sometimes "special" little friends are sent to share our lives & they are called . "it was meant to be".

xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
26-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #22

Am so glad that you have such a caring vets practice, who are obviously willing and able to make sure that all goes well for the animal.

Will be interested to hear how it goes as he settles down there, and as they wait to find out if someone is able to claim him...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
26-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #23

Very wise advice from Velvet about her experience. I rehomed an older cat that had been used to going outdoors; she adjusted to being indoor only with harness walks surprisingly quickly. It's all in the routine .

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
27-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
Amber as i mentioned was found strayimg & is now a house cat. For the first - 2 weeks she cried almost continuously at the back door to get out. It was hard listening to her being so unhappy but then she didnt really realise what she wanted, think she had been straying for some time. The following week she came into season - all very traumatic for her. Rescue said she was too young to have come into call when i phoned the rescue but our own vet confirmed it.
Subsequent spay etc. Now some 4 months later she loves her routine & knows it so well so i reslly wouldnt worry too much about a transition from being an outside kitten to indoors. Its more to do with having a loving stable home with routines. Its lovely to watch their confidence grow from wee timid - dont know routine kitten to one who is now quite vocal confident little girl.

We lost a much loved companion dog in June last year. She was only just 10. She had liver disease & was just too tired & frail to fight anymore. If the time is right & you are ready to take another wee one into your life - never think you are replacing the one you lost, you can never do that, the little one that comes into your life & home will make their own special place in your heart. Sometimes "special" little friends are sent to share our lives & they are called . "it was meant to be".

xx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Very wise advice from Velvet about her experience. I rehomed an older cat that had been used to going outdoors; she adjusted to being indoor only with harness walks surprisingly quickly. It's all in the routine .
Thankyou both so much for sharing your experiences with me, that makes me feel much better. We really cant stop thinking about the little guy and even though it would be completely unplanned(so pretty much not like us at all! ) we feel that if he was available to be rehomed to us and we didnt take him that it would be something we would end up regretting. I think with him being young and so laid back despite being unneutered that he wouldnt be a problem with the boys and that they might be put out at first but im sure they would come around pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
Am so glad that you have such a caring vets practice, who are obviously willing and able to make sure that all goes well for the animal.

Will be interested to hear how it goes as he settles down there, and as they wait to find out if someone is able to claim him...
Yes as i said i dont use this practice for my guys but ive been very impressed with how they are looking after this guy. when we first brought him there they told us they dont usually take in strays but they would take him in and i thought it wonderful that one of them brought him home to save him being cooped up.

I guess as i said we just have to wait until the week is up and see what happens. When i spoke to the lady yesterday she asked if i had reported him found and i wasnt sure what she meant So she said she would contact the cats protection to let them know he had been found and where. In all honestly i didnt report it anywhere else-i dont know if people will disagree but i was of the feeling that if one of my boys went missing i would call every vets/cattery/shelter/rescue/council in the area to report it and ring every day asking for news. I have however been checking various missing/found pages online daily and we have looked around the area for posters and have our families keeping an eye out for missing posters too. I just got very paranoid that someone wanting a free kitten would come along and claim him. Did i do the right thing or is that us being overly paranoid about it? My thinking is that the cats protection and the local vets know about him and surely that would be enough for anyone that was trying to find him? but please tell me if im being silly and should contact anyone else. The one thing i wont be doing is putting up posters-on my search for missing cats i have found far too many people in my area wanting free kittens

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #25

Hi JB! When Harley turned up as a stray last June, I did put a poster with a photo on it on a signpost at the end of our bridleway opposite the pub and in our local farm shop. I also put the same sign with photo on this website

http://mymoggy.com/

and on our local village website.

BUT Harley was an adult un-neutered male and although I found him an attractive cat I doubt if the general public would have. He certainly didn't have the kitten appeal your little guy must have. I did find the lady who runs the my moggy site to be very helpful at offering advice via email. You could look to see if kitty has been put in the lost section there anyway.

I really hope he's not claimed and comes to live with you in the end. I think that's what you are hoping too!!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
27-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Hi JB! When Harley turned up as a stray last June, I did put a poster with a photo on it on a signpost at the end of our bridleway opposite the pub and in our local farm shop. I also put the same sign with photo on this website

http://mymoggy.com/

and on our local village website.

BUT Harley was an adult un-neutered male and although I found him an attractive cat I doubt if the general public would have. He certainly didn't have the kitten appeal your little guy must have. I did find the lady who runs the my moggy site to be very helpful at offering advice via email. You could look to see if kitty has been put in the lost section there anyway.

I really hope he's not claimed and comes to live with you in the end. I think that's what you are hoping too!!!
Hi Angie! Thanks for that, that is actually one of the websites i have been checking on several times a day, along with the national pet register and a couple of others including gumtree lol Im just scared about actively advertising him and someone dodgy trying to claim him Part of me would love to be told that his loving owners tracked him down and have been reunited and will get him neutered and chipped before letting him out of their sights again. but yes there is definately a big part of me hoping that the vets ask if we want him next week So strange how you can go from being sure you wont be adding anymore kitties to your family for quite some time, to suddenly desperately wanting a little furry guy that appeared from no where! Though i gave up trying to question why things happen the way they do years ago-I mean we were set on getting a dog years back and then decided against it and a couple of weeks later came home with AJ and Raven and that was the best decision we ever made But we didnt plan and look about getting kitties half as long as we did about getting a dog So now i just try to roll with it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
29-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #27

Any word yet?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
29-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #28

Have you got an update on the kitten?
And why did I see this so late? you see he could have followed me and then he would be here......I think thats how my next cat will arrive.
Did you get any pictures? How old was he? I think sometimes people (knowing the area you live) just have a litter or open the door and let animals out, and I have to say the torn back nails would sort of lead you to believe he was locked/trapped somewhere and trying to scramble out.
But I would have more posters up than humanly possible to find any lost animal of mine. Some people just replace.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
30-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #29

also curious and checking in...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #30

Yes, any news JB?