Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
22-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #21

Re: Donna....................

I just thought that if I got rid of the litter trays all together it would solve the problems of:

1) Chloe not liking the smell of Misty in the litter trays and using the floor if she doesnt want to go out
2) Misty overshooting the litter tray when she uses Chloes cos she cant squat down
3) Cost of litter (not much but all helps)
4) The constant mess and smell in the house (do change the trays a lot but there is always litter everywhere and misty's pee is so strong and her poops make your eyes water).

lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
22-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #22

Okay - I admit defeat!!!! lol

I don't know what else to suggest, Donna!!!!

I'm sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!!!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

22-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #23

I have got into a complete mess over the trays and wont remove them until they both are going in and out.....

will update Catsey at any time that this is achieved!!!! Whatever century that might be!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
22-08-2007, 07:24 PM   #24

Donna, I am sorry you are still no nearer a solution and I dont have any answers but here's a thought......
Have you thought about contacting Wizz?
http://www.wizz-catz.co.uk/contactus.html
You could contact her initially and copy and paste whats been suggested and tried, to save going over any old ground, in an e-mail to her.
She is very helpful, supportive and generally nice to talk to about cat behaviour issues.
Wish you every success xxx

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #25

I did talk to her before when this problem was getting me down before; she suggested a litter tray each, which I have now done...

Not sure if she would have any suggestions about getting one stooopid cat to learn how to use a catflap though!!!!!

I will leave this isssue - things have improved slightly if Chloe has stopped peeing on the dining room carpet, so not a total loss!!

In future I will only ever have ONE CAT at a time!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
23-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #26

Oh Donna - sorry this is continuing.
I don't think I can add anything to the suggestions put forward.
It's easy to keep saying 'try this, try this' when you're not in the middle of the problem.
I've tried to work out what the essential nub of this convoluted problem is - isn't easy! - and I think it is Misty's non use of the cat-flap. Is that right? If so, I think maybe that's where you should concentrate. How can you get Misty to accept and use it? What will attract her? Food? Catnip? Play? You? Can you be patient enough to commit say half an hour a day towards getting her to use it? Maybe get one of the children to help? Just position yourselves one one one side of the wall, one on the other and push her (gently) in and out. Reward with treats/cuddles. Keep doing for as many days as it takes?
Maybe you could contact Staywell (or whoever the manufacturers are) and ask if they have any top tips for flap-averse cats? Misty can't be the only one.

More good luck wishes - and well done for not giving up on Misty

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #27

Good suggestion Hilary - I knew you'd come up with something

Good luck with whatever you try Donna - and you know where we are if you need us

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #28

Yes DM!!

I think the litter tray/chloe peeing problem has gone for the time being as I am managing to keep on top of the two trays (albeit a bit of mess from Misty - but better than Chloe pee on carpet).

I will let the cats get used to this arrangement for a bit, whilst I am "training" Misty.

I dont think half an hour a day is gonna work, as Misty at the moment is the most unco-operative cat there is!! She knows when we want her and runs/hides/avoids us all the time when we are trying to get her, so I am setting an amount timescale.

I am hoping to get Misty to go in/out catflap (with the aid of my hand on her large backside) TWICE a day to start with.

She has gone out once so far today with my "encouragement" and has gone in twice!!! It takes a lot though as she gets halfway in the hole and then stops dead. She then tries to reverse but I am not letting her!!!

I know she will eventually start to run away from me if I am in the garden as she will associate me as the lady who shoves her in a hole, so will see how it goes... (I am offering her food as the incentive if she comes through).

Wish me luck!

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #29

Good luck!!!!!!

If you keep with the food treats...............even though you might be the lady who puts her through the hole...........the food might win her round!!

Catsey Veteran

23-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #30

I GIVE UP!!!!

One hour of having the cat flap magnet off, with two cats, three teenagers and myself in the house - I go out into the kitchen to find a strange cat stuffing its face with all my cats' dinners.....

I THINK I WILL WELL AND TRULY GIVE UP LADIES..