Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
19-07-2006, 11:48 PM   #11

Re: Do cats talk to each other?

They must in someway I mean house cats aren't that far removed from big cats are they must communicate as they hunt I mean look at lioness's the teamwork involved in that.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
19-07-2006, 11:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
They must in someway I mean house cats aren't that far removed from big cats are they must communicate as they hunt I mean look at lioness's the teamwork involved in that.
Thats true Kazz, but housecats don't live in groups, they like their own space...

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2006, 12:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Thats true Kazz, but housecats don't live in groups, they like their own space...
Ahh but what about ferals

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
20-07-2006, 02:08 AM   #14

I know a fair few housecats who live in groups - I believe we have a few members whose cats do, and my lot (although they're a group of 3 atm) do. They all have clearly delineated tasks and ranks, and essentially when Jigsaw (the female) is about, they all cater to her needs (even though she's a bit of an airhead ).

Cats, however, communicate in ways humans don't (and vice versa). I know two cats who live together and have done since the male was a kitten. They don't seem fond of one another until one is at the vet's - then the one left behind pines and obviously worries until the first one's back.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
20-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #15

That was a fascinating story & I can't begin to explain it...telepathy of some sort? In my limited experience, cats mostly vocalize to their people; they communicate with one another more by body language...ear position, tails, hisses, scent markings, etc. Another one of life's mysteries, I guess....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
20-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #16

My cats definitely talk to one another, especially Maud. She will wander round the house 'calling' Claude and Clooney and when she finds them she makes little contented meows as if to say 'hello, that's where you are' She used to talk to her kittens all the time to the point we often had to tell her to be quiet as she would wake them up

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
20-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #17

What a great sory Kazz

I'm sure they do have a way of talking to eachother. Purrdie and C-Fur seemed to communicate.

Catsey Veteran

20-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #18

See she didn't call to him she went to him so maybe the body language had something to do with it also maybe previously maybe she had his scent on her - as he'd beat her up before.

Odd

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
20-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #19

I think they "communicate" somehow. But it is not so obvious as vocally. I think the way they look or move communicates messages. Things we see them doing as a normal movement may mean something completely different to them.

I know Chloe has learned to say "hello" to me when i say hello to her, but she doesnt do this to Misty (she reserves her vocals for humans).

She has the understanding of communication so must be able to do it within her own species.

Great thread!