Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
22-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #11

Re: Dog or Bitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks all! I made the mistake of looking at puppy photos this evening ...................... how do you pick THE one?
You can't, not until you visit the litter. Good breeders will have waiting lists for their puppies, be wary of anyone who has puppies ready to go now, they're possibly not breeders whose stock is in high demand. You need to get to know a breeder when they're planning a litter so you can sort of register an interest and maintain contact with the breeder so they know you're serious about wanting a puppy. A good breeder will be happy for you to visit them even though there may be no puppies, or pregnant bitch at that time, it's an opportunity to see the temperament of their dogs and the breeders set-up, and judge if you like what you see.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
22-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks all! I made the mistake of looking at puppy photos this evening ...................... how do you pick THE one?
Very often the pup picks you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
22-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moli
Very often the pup picks you
Yes agree to that. Our last three were "meant to be"

Rosie was a christmas puppy thrown into the pound just before New Year. They contacted Boxer Rescue who took her & then asked us if we would consider a pup & they brought her to us. I was alteady registered with them for help etc

Katie - we registered with a breeder recommended to us via rescue. We had our names down for a brindle pup from they were 10 days old. At 4 weeks we wentbto view the pups. After a long chat the breeder sent his young daughter out to bring in a pup to show us. She came back in & set this tiny white pup in my arms & i fell in love instantly! A breeder who matched his pups to owners!

Harvey: heard about him from Katie's breeder, no one wanted a white pup. We had family discussion & as we had 3 Boxers before 2 bitches & 1 dog we decided to take (buy) Harvey.

I can honestly say Katie & Harvey were two of the easiest puppies to rear. Good breeder who shows breeds for health, temperament & conforms to a standard.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH
You can't, not until you visit the litter. Good breeders will have waiting lists for their puppies, be wary of anyone who has puppies ready to go now, they're possibly not breeders whose stock is in high demand. You need to get to know a breeder when they're planning a litter so you can sort of register an interest and maintain contact with the breeder so they know you're serious about wanting a puppy. A good breeder will be happy for you to visit them even though there may be no puppies, or pregnant bitch at that time, it's an opportunity to see the temperament of their dogs and the breeders set-up, and judge if you like what you see.
Totaly agree with the above I spoke to Sal's breeder a year or more before the pups were born there were 6; 3 dogs 3 bitches, we were the last to get a pup and we got Sal...end of Story. No choosing there, she was our pup I did not mind because by then I had a trusting relationship with Craig and Gail and their breeding was what I wanted and having meet the rest of the family (dogs) Sal's gran, mom and half sister and some others at shows. I knew the litter would be even and whatever pup I got would be perfect, also I was flexible I was happy to take dog or bitch, and when the other (in front of me) choose theirs I would have been happy with dog or bitch pup as it was I got a bitch. That was irrelevant to me at the time I wanted a pet and from that breeding.
When I got Tess (same breeder) I had a criteria a bitch and this time I got to 2nd to choose after the breeder. Major confusion in my head; but I choose; and this time I choose and that pup was Tess and again an even litter and hard to put a hair between them looks wise.
I saw Sal's litter first at about 5 weeks got invited to see all the litter as did every prospective (to be owner) at this point I knew I was on the list for a bitch all three dogs being taken and one bitch being kept by the breeder and one by someone who had had a pup form them previously So I was last. That visit was to see the litter.
I picked Sal up a day after her 7 week birthday. She was the first pup to go.
I saw Tess and litter sisters complete at 4&1/2 weeks and then went again at 5&1/2 weeks (due to the time I could get there) this time, first visit was to put my "name on a pup" then confirm at 51/2 weeks. Before the others on the list "choose" however the breeder on both occasions did have an opinion on which pup would suit which home.

They took no deposits.

Best of luck I would say find a breeder you trust and wait it out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
22-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #15

Thanks for your valuable advise. I will try to curb my impatience and try to find a breeder that I like.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
22-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable advise. I will try to curb my impatience and try to find a breeder that I like.

I agree with Velvet totaly a well bred and raised pup makes all the difference, like starting a car race with a engine instead of having to build the engine after the starters gun.