Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
07-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #11

Re: Meowless.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
Moli, sounds like the Silent Miaow to me!!
Its quite nice actually, my 4 boys are all very vocal!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
08-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #12

Never had a meowless cat before. Wonder if he'll ever do it?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
08-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #13

Winston had a silent meow, he could let out a squeek now and again. He also had a very gentle purr.

Maybe he has chosen to be quiet as he cannt be bothered with the competition of your other cats

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #14

I am intrigued by the whole subject of vocalisation in cats. Harley for instance started off being extremely vocal - before we adopted him. He would call to us to let him in, to feed him etc. Now he knows that he will be fed when he appears and rubs around our legs, he has stopped yelling at us!

Could it be that cats use their voice to tell us what they want and if they get whatever it is without, they stop shouting!!! Just a theory

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #15

Could it be that cats use their voice to tell us what they want and if they get whatever it is without, they stop shouting!!! Just a theory

That's a very good point! I'd say that pretty much describes all mine over the years ... except my Siamese boy, of course who could talk the ear off a brass monkey. And little Onyx who turned into a chatterbox once she came to trust me

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
08-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #16

I don't think I have heard Jimmy make a noise since he came here a year ago- he does purr but it is very quiet. Samson was very vocal, he spoke to you all the time and had a really loud purr, most people whosaw him thought had had some oriental in him and that may explain why he was so talkative.
Its amazes my what different meiows they all have- Mr Tomsk is very tomcatty, Pudding has a really deep meiow and Fluffy has a squeak.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: DSH
Stephan is Male
09-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #17

Cleo didn`t meow for ages after we had take her in. She still says very little,the odd `chirrup` when she lands on my bed or lap.

But she can you know-oh yes. when she wants to examine the little cupboard under the downstairs bath she howls.

The first time I heard it my blood ran cold-Cleo what`s up?

I`m used to it now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
09-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #18

When my Posh lost her meow I knew something was wrong, she's always had a wide vocabulary, quite a diva. Ranging from mew to aaaaammm, to yowl, and gargling. It was pleasant to have her silent for a few days but she's back to full throttle now, especially in the morning. I'll try and capture a performance on my mobile and see if I can put it on youtube or some thing... no good with tech stuff

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #19

Dandy had a funny sort of rusty meow; sounded as if he had laryngitis.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: tabby cat
11-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #20

My first cat Toby never meowed. He use to open his mouth but nothing came out,Bless him.
Minnie is totally opposite.She talks constantly.All different types of meows,even one that sounds like shes shouting at you.I agree that sometimes i think she is trying to tell us what she wants.I love all the little noises she makes.