Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
06-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #11

Re: The pigs go out.

great pics... i have a bit of a soft spot for pigs too.. not sure why but i think its probably because of the social analogy of pigs and police..love the cuddle pic... they are big piggies!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
07-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #12

aww poor Scarlet was worn out
i've read a little on pigs and heard they are so intelligent. if i had the room i'd love to have one around

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
07-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #13

Oooooh, this is the first time I've figured out how to use multi- quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
I adore pigs, I have no idea why there is something about them.

What breed are they?
Gigi is a commercial white breed and we think Scarlet is a tamworth cross GOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
I always wondered how you cuddle a pig!

Such great photos of them, Farthing ........ how long will they stay spotlessly clean like that?
They stayed clean for about 10 mins, we have left the hose running in hollow and the promptly went and sat in it, they were black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley123
They are lovely, you don't realise how big they are untill you see them near people.
Is Scarlet a Tamworth ?
I have always wanted a tamworth but they are hard to come by and if you buy very expensive, we're pretty sure Scarlet has tamworth in her and she was going for meat but became Gigi's companion instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
What lucky girls to have such a lovely place to live and dig around in. I wish them a very happy Summer.

Do you put sun screen on either of them, especially Gigi???
We do put lotion on Gigi, although they are very clever and know to stay out of the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
aww poor Scarlet was worn out
i've read a little on pigs and heard they are so intelligent. if i had the room i'd love to have one around
Pigs are very intelligent, more than dogs, but with a very independant streak. When they look at you it is in a very knowing way. This is what wories me about the trend for micro pigs, I fear that a couple of years down the line there will be many pigs in rescues with behavioural problems, much like the parrots you are helping to look after.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #14

"This is what wories me about the trend for micro pigs, I fear that a couple of years down the line there will be many pigs in rescues with behavioural problems, much like the parrots you are helping to look after."

Farthing, that is exactly what happened here when the fad for Pot-bellied pigs wore off.... the rescues were overloaded with them from people who did not realize what they had gotten themselves into! Such a pity.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
07-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #15

Agreed! Many people thought the pot belly pigs would not grow larger and then the fascination wore off once it turned into a grown creature I have already seen the micro pigs being advertised on craigslist in seattle so it's already coming this way. i imagine there will be a need for more pig shelters

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
08-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #16

Nothing to do with Pigs but to continue with the theme of unwanted animals.
The same thing happens to Terrapins that happens to micro pigs. People buy them when there small and cute and dump them when they grow too big.
I have spotted two quite large ones in the pond of our local nature reserve. I mentioned it to the ranger thinking maybe they would want to capture them and take them to an animal shelter or something because they often die of cold.
The ranger was dismayed that they had survived the winter because apparently they sometimes take Signets.
As far as i know there are no plans to remove them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
08-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #17

OOOOH big fat pigs big fat pigsssssss!

I love pigs!

Lovely girls, poor Scarlett being overworked!