Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #11

Re: Caring for a blind cat?

Good luck at the vet tomorrow Tim and Buttons.

Cats owned: Fluffy ones!
Tim25 is Male
13-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #12

Hi guys, just got back from the vets. His BP was high, which has lead to some burst blood vessels at the back of his eye, which is affecting his vision. They've taken some bloods to test his kidney function which I should get later today. Hopefully hes ok. They showed me how to pretty much force feed him the tablets as he wont take them voluntary! Feels a bit mean doing it that way but its for the best I guess!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #13

Thanks for the update, hope the blood test results are ok.
Have you tried giving him his tablets in a piece of chicken or cheese. I know they're probably not what he should be eating but you should only need a bit.
I but frozen chicked strips to medicate my Tom.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #14

What medication is he on currently? I assumed they were already treating him for the high blood pressure...
I havent met many cats that will take any meds "voluntary" tbh.
Please keep us informed.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=35475

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #15

I bought a pill taker from the vet yesterday after a demonstration from the maestro (vet) of giving Kizzy a worm tablet!!! I have yet to try it myself of course.

Hope you can find a good way of medicating Buttons. Can you call on any help? I find two people makes it far easier.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #16

I agree with Angie, you really need two if your cat's "Won't" power is stronger than the owner's will power! Good luck with Buttons, do let us know how he's doing.

Cats owned: Fluffy ones!
Tim25 is Male
13-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #17

Hey guys. He's on Istin for his blood pressure, and Ferkitor or whatever for his kidneys. He's been breathing differently today and lastnight the vet said he couldn't hear anything wrong but I'm worried sick. I just tried to give him his tablets wrapping him in a towel like they showed me but he got scared and started breathing really hard almost like he was struggling for air, I thought he was going to go there and then. He's calmed down now but I'm sure there is something wrong. I know I'm no vet but my gut instinct tells me something isn't right at all.

Not sure what I should do keep thinking I'm going to go up to him later tonight or tomorrow and find he's gone.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #18

I'd give the vet a call and see if Buttons needs to be seen again ... don't like that about the breathing ........

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
13-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #19

Have you tried to give his tablets in chicken ? If he will take them like that it will be much less stressfull for you and Buttons.
As Eileen has said if your not happy i'd call the vet again tomorrow.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
13-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #20

I would also suggest giving the vet a call. It might be because he already has high bp, the stress of trying to pill him has made that worse. I'd suggest as little stress as possible.
What is his favorite foods? Maybe try hiding the pills in that, although cats are pretty good at spitting them out when your back is turned. Primula cheese is often a good way to get cats to take pills. Can you not place him between your knees, head facing away from you, open his mouth and pop the pills in, close his mouth and gently rub his throat until you feel him swallow?