Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
03-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #11

Re: Tiring day of vet visits.

Well, not the best news for Spice, she may need a dental. The vet has given an anti-inflammatory injection and antibiotic to try and avoid the need for an op but suspects we may have to go down that route in the end. I did expect this, but still disappointed about it because she's not a great candidate for an op, but if she's sore eating we have no choice. Keep your fingers crossed this helps and we can control it without putting her under.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #12

Fingers definitely crossed for Spice! .....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #13

Fingers well and truly crossed for Spice.
I don't know whats wrong with her teeth but Tom had a broken tooth out and then kept getting a reacurring infection in the socket. The vet was talking about another op but so far we have avoided it. He was put on a high dose of antibiotics for a few weeks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
04-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #14

Well an interesting day of results.
Firstly Samson's thyroid is now within the normal range, this has been achieved by having him on the same dose but giving it just after breakfast, rather than a lunchtime, without a feed. Interestingly Fluffy is still high, but I have to confess I wasn't convinced about the 'give with food' idea so she has been getting her tablet when I could catch her. They were both about the same last time, over 100 and samson is now down to 16 .
The other bit of news is that the uncontrolled hyperthyoid could have been maskig the fact he had kidney problems. Apparently the high metabolism covers up the kidney damage in the bloods, so he may have had this problem for a while. I feel a bit better because I was really worried because it had happened so suddenly.
I now have to get a urine sample from Sammy and I will actively give Fluffy her tablets with food and get her checked again in 3 weeks time.
The tablet in question is Vidalta, so anybody using it, start to give with food, you may find you don't need to give as high a dose.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #15

Glad Samson's thyroid is within the normal range and hope that Fluffy's gets under control. Tom is on different thyroid tablets but i think it's usual to give the tablets with food as it helps them work and prevents them leaving the body too soon.