Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
23-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #11

Re: Burmese anyone?

The only owners I have talked to, all of their burmese had CRF at varying ages. Certain breeds are more suseptible to CRF but that doesnt mean that they will succum to it at an early age.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
23-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #12

That's sad news Elaine.

Chatty is fine - I like chatty! Kizzy is quite chatty and has a good vocabulary!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #13

I'm not surprised that they're chatty... after all there is Siamese in the foundation stock of the breed! And we all know how Siamese can talk.and talk....and talk!. I like chatty too; Leia is more the strong silent type; rarely has anything to say except at meal time. Although she does prrt to me!

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #14

Now here's a Q - is cat chat just for our benefit, or do they "talk" to each other? Yes, I have seen the YouTube vid!

Catsey Veteran

23-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #15

They mostly talk to us because they have decided we're too dense to understand the subtleties of body language. Other than mum cats with kittens, and the caterwauling of the mating game and the vocalized threats in a real cat fight, they rarely speak to one another!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
24-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #16

Have phoned Mum and asked her re CRF. Of the 11 Burmese she has owned 2 had CRF. All lived to over age 15, one to 23.

She did however say that CRF was not always well known when she had her cats but in her opinion the others did not have it or if they did it was not at a level that affected their life.

Hope that helps.

Catsey Veteran

24-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #17

That's more promising CM - thanks for checking that with your mum for me. Didn't know she was such a huge Burmese fan! All her cats lived to good ages too - that's promising. I just have to hope that the lady I phoned phones me back! I'm fairly sure that I couldn't afford to buy a kitten, as much as I would like to, so if I can find a nice boy that needs rehoming, so much the better. The Burmese I knew years ago was a rehome. You couldn't have wanted a nicer cat - he was called "Placido" as his original owner was an opera fan. Buy he was called "Placi" and he really was a very placid boy. I really used to enjoy going round to look after him.

Catsey Veteran

24-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #18

I have no idea what the incidence of CRF is in Burmese, but it does seem to be an affliction that affects many breeds of cats as they age .... most of the ones here, and Carolyn's Kate, were moggys. It's just a chance you have to take.

Catsey Veteran

25-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #19

Yes Eileen - that's the measured view one has to take. It's a shame of course for the poor cats involved and in time the outlook may be brighter. Vet research seems to come on much more quickly than human!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
25-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #20

CRF is something I now worry about with Maxi and Maisy Moo after reading that Maine Coons can be prone to that condition . The only thing I can do is just keep my fingers crossed that they will not develope it.